1985 40 hp Suzuki 2 stroke outboard cutting back at 2200 rpms

I have a 85 2 stroke 40 hp Suzuki Outboard the runs good in idle runs good at no wake speed runs good at 2200 rpms but cuts back at 2300 rpms and when u go full throttle cuts completely off and u have to choke the motor for it to start. Tried squeezing bulb while running and that cut it off as well. It is oil injected but we still mixed gas and oil 50:1. Oil injection scares me. We can ride all day as long as we do not go over 2200 rpms. It fires right up everytime we turn the key unless i try full throttle then we have to choke it to get it to start. An suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: 1985 40 hp Suzuki 2 stroke outboard cutting back at 2200 rpms

Fixed the issue this weekend. The Pee Hole on the back of the motor was clogged and there is a device that will limit the rpms of the motor to keep it from burning up. Unclogged pee hole using a straightened hook and now I can go full throttle. Also i diluted the gas and oil ratio I had since I was running oil injected and 50:1 in the gas. Hope this helps someone else that has the same issue.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

you ever think that maybe no one really wants to answer questions from someone like the mane you picked?

Plugged tell tail will not cause motor to overheat it is just a indicator the water pump is pumping water

The Floating Terd is the name of my Pontoon. Its a older model and it gets laughs. But back at the question at hand, as soon as I opened the hole on the back, where I assume dirt divers had made a nest, the boat ran perfect. Maybe I just got lucky and for some reason the boat started working great I dont know but as soon as I cleared the blockage from "the pee hole" it ran great to the landing and running great now