no trim /no start on 07 90 hp yamaha.

hydrick

Seaman
engine 7ymxm1602gc or possibly(go)

when switch turned on(not attempting to crank)no voltage reading at gauge.when trying to crank, only a click at the relay.when trying to trim,only click at relay
checked all fuses at the relays,cleaned and tightened battery terminals charged for four hours.....hit trim switch at engine,still only clicks at relays.

i jumped the starter with cables from my jeep and motor will turn over, and was able to trim engine down.
charged battery overnight, tried to trim at engine this morning and still only get a click at the relay, nothing from switch when trying to crank,and no reading on the volt gauge at dash.

i put battery under a load test 560 cca, and get a 10 volt reading under load, which according to fella that tested it should be okay.
btw, lights work and horn works.
thanks in advance for any help.
ronnie

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: no trim /no start on 07 90 hp yamaha.

Simple to try a different known good battery

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take your battery cables off, both ends. Scrub the connectors shiny and reconnect. This should be annual preventive maintenance.

robert graham

Admiral

Sounds like a weak/bad battery...I run a 90C Yamaha and my batteries can become weak or questionable after 3 or 4 years.....probably time for a new batterty!....Still a good idea to check it out and clean all those connections...the humid marine environment can be a lot tougher on these connections than an automotive application.

hydrick

Seaman

Sounds like a weak/bad battery...I run a 90C Yamaha and my batteries can become weak or questionable after 3 or 4 years.....probably time for a new batterty!....Still a good idea to check it out and clean all those connections...the humid marine environment can be a lot tougher on these connections than an automotive application.

thanks to you all for the replies.

i'm trouble shooting this for a family friend.
the battery is stamped 4/12 he said it's new from auto zone.
when the boat showed up at the house it was doing as i described.once i put it on charge i noticed an acc swith left in on position.this particular switch has a small bulb.obviously this could haved drained the battery completely, but as i said, it is reading 10 volts on a load test.

robert graham

Admiral

That "ACC" switch/instrument light bulb can drain a battery very slowly and really do a number on it...I know from experience with my grandson playing in the boat and flipping switches....we got to the ramp and battery was so dead it wouldn't take a charge...$75 for another battery!...Take the battery back to Autozone and if it's bad, and they'll admit it, they may replace it for minimal amount$$$

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If it is a good battery then either your cable connections or or one of the cables themselves are bad.
Simple to find out which one by using jumper cable to jump around one cable at a time

hydrick

Seaman

That "ACC" switch/instrument light bulb can drain a battery very slowly and really do a number on it...I know from experience with my grandson playing in the boat and flipping switches....we got to the ramp and battery was so dead it wouldn't take a charge...$75 for another battery!...Take the battery back to Autozone and if it's bad, and they'll admit it, they may replace it for minimal amount$$$

just back from auto zone, 12.2 volts, and 525 cca.

is there an inline fuse other than the starter relay?

hydrick

Seaman

can someone point me in the direction of location of starter motor fuse?

hydrick

Seaman

follow up.got home re-cleaned battery cables, hooked up battery, hit switch, nothing. same click as before.hit trim button at shifter and got click only.still no action at gauges.crawled off pontoon hit switch at engine,nothing but the same click.
never did find an inline fuse.
i rechecked all fuses at the engine, all were just as before, good.i took boots off what appeared to be a grounding block and assured all were tight.got back in boat hit switch,nothing!hit trim,nothing.same familiar clicks, and still no gauges.
i then grabbed shifter and began shifting forward to neutral,forward to neutral with ignition in on position.out of the corner of my eye the gauges began working.i turned switch and got nothing at starter but a click, hit trim and started getting a continuous click.here's where it gets crazy, i jumped out of boat tapped the switch and hit trim and it began to go up and down,then all the relays began vibrating,and clicking.tried to crank, and still nothing.trim still working, and relays clicking....i go to other side and start pushing and pulling the shifter linkage past the neutral stall switch.i shifted the linkage forward enough to expose the small spring loaded switch, pushed it in and out about 5 times.by this time(though i doubt it had anything to do with it)the relays quit vibrating and clicking.
i got back in boat turned switch and she turned over.i pulled kill switch to assure it wouldn't crank, tgurned switch and it's turning over everytime,trim is working from both shifter and motor, and all gauges are working.put kill in tried engine and she's running like a yamaha should.i've seen cars do crazy things with bad batteries or sticking relays, but i've never seen anything like this with a boat.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

No fuse or switch will cause motor starter,trim,and gauges to not work.
Or cause relays to start going crazy like you stated.

Sounds like a wiring problem, loosing connection and shorting out at times

hydrick

Seaman

No fuse or switch will cause motor starter,trim,and gauges to not work.
Or cause relays to start going crazy like you stated.

Sounds like a wiring problem, loosing connection and shorting out at times

i figured that too.i chalked it up to a multitude of things beginning with age,lack of use,being kept outdoor,a glazed over safety switch at shifter,a sticking neutral stall switch at linkage,and possibly sticking trim switch at engine. i'm certainly not a mechanic which is why i come here for direction.
i am curious concerning the relays-----is there some type capacitor or something that powers up after a battery re-install that could have caused the vibrating,and clicking?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

No, that is why I posted that it sounded like a short of some kind.
If you were not calling for anything to happen then I do not think you should have relays clicking.
Do you have any idea of which relays were going crazy

If you were able to jump from jeep and starter and trim worked then you have a problem between where you jumper-ed and the battery

hydrick

Seaman

by feel and vision all four of the fused relays were vibrating.there was nothing in line from the starter to battery but the main line.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

And you have proved that that cable is not the problem how?

hydrick

Seaman

by cleaning both ends,and trying to crank with a fully charged battery.remember i had found an aux switch on initially.charged battery over night and had it load tested as good after the charge.not knowing how long the aux was on.nor whether battery would hold a charge i took back to auto zone for the owner.
i never tested voltage on wire at starter or switch because at this point i felt the aux was the problem.
it was after battery was replaced and a couple quick fiddling with a few components, that the boat corrected.
(after first doing the crazy things i mentioned)it trimmed and turned over for the next four or five hours, and again the next morning.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If it would not crank with a good battery and cleaned connections, but would start if jumped from a different battery, it tells me that there was not a connection from the original battery. I have seen cables go bad internally before. Voltage testing under a load is the best way to see that or voltage drop test.
Relays buzzing is not a good thing especially if you did not find the problem and fix anything, it just got better.

hydrick

Seaman

i agree, and thank you all for your input.
i told the owner there was an apparent short, and suggested it may happen again in the future.this was a pro bono once over to help a young married couple who'd just sold the boat.
i failed to mention to you all that when boat first showed up the ignition switch was loose.very loose.i tightened this first off.
again thanks for your input.
sincerely,
ronnie