Yamaha C115TXRT Steering

Chillmark

Recruit
Hello!

I have a C115 steering question for you all

On the engine bracket there is a tang which comes out forward and the steering arm connects to that tang. The tang itself is steel, and the bore is larger than any bolt.

When I got this engine (used, I think it's like a 1996 or so) the connection between tang and steering was rusted almost clear to oblivion. I replaced it with a 1/4-20 bolt and a rubber bushing (to fill the void in the large bore in the tang), and then put on two nuts which I tightened against each other so as to not come off.

Today I lost steering at full speed, and did a 180, slamming into a wave and knocking my wife and son off their seats and into the side of the boat. I was thankfully able to get it out of gear in order to keep further mayhem from happening, but I needed to limp back to my outhaul at idle in order to steer.

What happened was the two locked nuts had come loose and fallen off. Then it was a simple matter of the steering arm coming off the bolt when we bounced on the waves. To get back we put the bolt and bushing assembly back together, but we had to hold it in with pliers (the nuts go on top).

So I'm curious if there is a better solution than what I did before. A nylock nut is my first instinct, but I was curious if anyone here knew how that linkage is made at the factory? It certainly seems like a weak link in the system. I looked for parts online and was unsuccessful so I'm hoping for some good insight from you all.

Thanks ahead of time!

-Chill

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha C115TXRT Steering

head over to your local Yamaha dealer and talk to them about the steering connection hardware needed, I am sure they have it.
I did not see your motor steering parts info on line either, but see it for some other motors

Chillmark

Recruit

I tried that, too

They sold me a brand new $167 steering arm. Mine is apparently an aftermarket deal; its got some crappy welds that aren't professional-like. The spinning pin which connects arm to engine is too fat to fit in the tang on my engine. We are going to be able to get our money back, obviously, but in the meantime my boat don't turn so good.

C

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like someone has modified it themselves as I have not heard of aftermarket part for that.
To replace that part with factory part will mean powerhead and everything else will have to come apart to install new, that is probably why they did some rigging