2000 Yamaha 60hp engine oscillates

craker

Cadet
I just repowered my 17' Swan Point skiff with a 2000 60 hp Yamaha. It has only about 30 hrs total on the engine. The seller said he had the carb rebuilt prior to selling. I have had it out 4 or 5 times since I repowered it. The last couple of times out, the motor starts to loses power while on plane. It will either drop several hundred rpms over a few seconds or it oscillates like it is dropping a cylinder and then picking it back up. I changed the plugs, NGK's. The motor also has gotten a deeper, Throatier sound at full power than it did at first.

This motor looks like brand new. Any ideas about what is causing the lack of power will be greatly appreciated.

DSCF5043.jpg

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2000 Yamaha 60hp engine oscillates

check compression, spark, and timing.
Check fuel pressure/vacuum.
If all is good the you are back to carbs is my thoughts

AURanger07

Cadet
Re: 2000 Yamaha 60hp engine oscillates

Sounds kinda like the problem i was having with my 07 150 vmax. It is starving for fuel(one of my fuel pumps went out). I would check the fuel pressure like mentioned above. If the motor sat for a while, you might have a problem with ethanol in one of the lines. It will feel like a very hard spot in the line where it has created the blockage.