2003 suzuki 140df 4 stroke - won't start, flywheel won't turn properly, noises

aleae

Recruit
my 2003 suzuki 140df 4 stroke outboard won't start.

i hauled out 3 weeks ago, started and drove boat onto trailer. brought boat home for fiberglass repairs and paint maintenance. changed fuel filter, put on hose ears to make sure everything fine before splashing boat, and engine won't start. here is what happened:

- starter engaged flywheel cogs, but flywheel wouldn't spin. changed battery out for freshly charged bat, sanded terminals for definite connection, still wouldn't spin.

- put into and out of gear. when definitely in neutral, still wouldn't spin.

- turned key, held on, starter remained engaged with flywheel, but no spin. multiple key starts wouldn't budge flywheel. starter hot to touch, so let sit until that cooled.

- prop wouldn't turn when shifted into forward, free spin in neutral, wouldn't turn when shifted to reverse.

- put wrench on flywheel nut. could not turn engine over. wrench moved approx 5 degrees, along with flywheel, but without turning engine. felt like winding up a spring, or flexing something, or like compressing something. there was some give, but no apparent engine rotation.

- removed spark plugs. put breaker bar and socket on flywheel nut. still 5 degrees only of flex. flywheel moves 5 degrees, but returns to original position.

- moved breaker bar clockwise and counterclockwise 5 degrees to feel if something was stuck. no change. didn't want to put on any significant force to avoid bending anything

- tried to start again. this time, flywheel rotated approx 1", and noise sounded from somewhere in the middle of the shaft assembly part of the engine.

- tried to start again to isolate noise: flywheel rotated half way around. the entire time a noise emanated from the vertical shaft area approx 6-12" above lower unit joint. bad metal noise, like a harsh repetitive clicking, not grinding, more like loud fast repeated metallic clacking.

noise sounded expensive, so i don't want to try anything further without some guidance. i would appreciate very much if anyone has any suggestions on what to do next. thanks.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2003 suzuki 140df 4 stroke - won't start, flywheel won't turn properly, noises

Drop lower unit to disconnect it from power head, hopefully it is the lower unit that is locked up and not the motor