Yamaha F25TRLY 25 HP 4 stroke year 2000 carb question.

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been having problems with my 25 HP 4 stroke F25TLRY running. I've cleaned the carb a few times which always seems to help.

I don't know the proper terminology but I will do my best.

On the side of the lower carb bowl, there is a plunger that was stuck. After some prying, I was able to get the plunger out and clean things up with
carb cleaner. In the bottom of the plunger hole was a broken "snap ring"??? and one ball bearing. I don't think I lost anything. It looks like the snap ring might have dissolved over time.

My question is should there be more than one ball bearing? I only found one, but there are two smaller places where small steel balls might go.

Can anyone refer me to a diagram of this carb? It is a Kehin BCM 65W10B515.

Is this a standard snap ring I can get from an auto parts store? What size should I ask for? I do have a few pieces of what was a snap ring!

Any part numbers where I can buy what I need from IBoats would be greatly appreciated.

Update: Auto parts stores did not have any snap rings that small. Smallest they had was 1/4 inch and I probably need a size smaller.

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha F25TRLY 25 HP 4 stroke year 2000 carb question.

Correction on the carb numbers: It is a KEiHIN BCM 65W00 NG30

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a new snap ring from Yamaha dealer and got it all back together. It is running now but does not make a smooth
transition from idle to medium speed.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Probably need to clean carb better and make sure you adjust like manual says.
If snap ring came apart because of corrosion then there may be more problems with passages

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Probably need to clean carb better and make sure you adjust like manual says.
If snap ring came apart because of corrosion then there may be more problems with passages

Took the motor over to an neighbor / retired mechanic. I watched him meticulously go through each passage
and blow out with carb cleaner and air. He listened to the motor stall when trying to go from idle to mid speed
and decided the problem must be with the plunger. It turned out that the plunger was working but the passage
it was trying to plunge gas into was blocked. After a lot of fiddling around, he finally got it unplugged and working.

I learned some important lessons:

Carbs are not forgiving. There is no substitute for getting it completely right.

The normal carb kit does not include the plugs. If you have cleaned all you can and it still does not act right
you may need to send it out to a shop that specializes in rebuilding carbs and can remove all the plugs and clean
behind them. This may be my next step as there is still some hesitation.

I am confident enough in the engine that I will take it fishing next week.

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the up date, wish more people would do that