1988 Suzuki DT 200 possible Fuel problems???

Bachman

Recruit
Just bought a 1988 - 19' Ranger Bass Boat with a 1988 Suzuki 200 DT Outboard Motor. Took it out for the first time on the lake. Big Problems, and thankfully I had a electric trolling motor to get us back to the dock.

When the Engine idles, it runs fine... Sounds good ! But when I get 10 feet from the Dock, it sputters and spits, and will hardly pull itself in the water.. It sputters then dies... Takes forever to get it started back up again, but when it does start, it idles again just fine at about 800 rpms.. but once you put it in gear.. It just won't run !!!

I am no Boat motor mechanic, and have no clue how to fix this thing.. Give me a Dodge Motor, and I'll rebuild it for you in a heartbeat.. but This outboard is something else.. lol

We have good gas, so I know its not a gel problem. Is there a electric fuel pump on this thing that might be causing the problem ? Fuel Filters have been replaced (2) of them anyway.. Where is the fuel pump? Or am I totally way off... Please help me solve this problem, so we can go fishing !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bachman

Recruit
Re: 1988 Suzuki DT 200 possible Fuel problems???

Just bought a 1988 - 19' Ranger Bass Boat with a 1988 Suzuki 200 DT Outboard Motor. Took it out for the first time on the lake. Big Problems, and thankfully I had a electric trolling motor to get us back to the dock.

When the Engine idles, it runs fine... Sounds good ! But when I get 10 feet from the Dock, it sputters and spits, and will hardly pull itself in the water.. It sputters then dies... Takes forever to get it started back up again, but when it does start, it idles again just fine at about 800 rpms.. but once you put it in gear.. It just won't run !!!

I am no Boat motor mechanic, and have no clue how to fix this thing.. Give me a Dodge Motor, and I'll rebuild it for you in a heartbeat.. but This outboard is something else.. lol

We have good gas, so I know its not a gel problem. Is there a electric fuel pump on this thing that might be causing the problem ? Fuel Filters have been replaced (2) of them anyway.. Where is the fuel pump? Or am I totally way off... Please help me solve this problem, so we can go fishing !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Since nobody was able to come up with any suggestions .... I took the boat and motor into the boat shop for repair.
1. The Idle Screws were way out of adjustment
2. The Linkage needed adjusted
3. O'Rings missing
4. The Fuel primer squeeze tube wasn't getting any air. So when the motor engaged in gear, and tried to suck up the gas, the float raised up and plugged the hose, so the engine got no gas.

This was a $500 repair job.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1988 Suzuki DT 200 possible Fuel problems???

The Fuel primer squeeze tube wasn't getting any air. So when the motor engaged in gear, and tried to suck up the gas, the float raised up and plugged the hose, so the engine got no gas.

I can understand how the 1st 3 would be a problem, but that would be hard for any one on this side of a computer to come up with without your input that some one had been playing with them.

But #4 does not make any sense to me.
Primer bulb does not need air and there is not float in the primer bulb to raise and plug hose.

Could be one of the check valves was bad and and restricted the fuel flow.
But a primer bulb should not have cost $500

I wounder if the primer bulb restriction was the only problem and they played with all sorts of stuff trying to find it for many hours of shop time and that is what they charged so much money for