Yamaha 40 ELN impeller replacement

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys,

I want everyone to know how much I appreciate this forum. You've saved me tons of time, and money.

I purchased a new impeller, seems it should be replaced every 15 years or so, right? :facepalm: It still pumps, but IT'S BEYOND TIME.

So, there's obvious bolts, and there's a hidden bolt (I think, I can't remember for sure -- but it wouldnt' be the first lower unit I've pulled and found one.) and a speedo tube, and... What's with the shift linkage? Do I put it in forward, neutral or what to make sure when I put back together, it's where it should be???

Thanks for any light you can shed on this... I downloaded the manual -- but in looking through it, I can't find the part about changing out the impeller...

Jason

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Yamaha 40 ELN impeller replacement

Google: Yamaha Maintenance Tips Andy, for instructions with photos on Water Pump Replacement, plus several other maintenance procedures. 15 years is too long between impellers....most folks replace every 2 to 5 years max.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I believe 40ELN is a 1984 model and those old ones may have a up down shift not the twist like the new ones.
Look through your manual better to see what the steps are.
Yamaha service manual is better as it is for just your motor and not a bunch of different HP and years

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I changed it, wasn't too difficult at all -- The shift linkage is basically just a threaded rod that has a coupler on it to the lower unit. Unscrewed it, and that's all there was too it.

I change my impellers every 3 years, or sooner if I suspect an issue. But the previous owner owned the boat for 15 years... and never changed it. Funny thing? Its still very pliable. It flexes easier even than the new one did, and when I pulled it out, it went right to it's original shape (not with all the fins bent as I've seen many times) -- but it's good peace of mind for me.

thanks for the tips!

robert graham

Admiral

Like many preventive/predictive maintenance items, the whole trick to replacing impellers is to be sure and replace it Before it fails!;) It's also good to remove items like the lower unit, etc., on a regular basis to try and prevent corroded/stuck/broken bolts and fasteners. Clean bolt threads with a wire wheel, then coat with marine grease.

xschipper

Recruit

Dear All,

I have a related question: what to do when the bolts are indeed corroded and they do not move (at all). I considered sawing them of, drilling them out, or heat-shock them?

Any suggestions on that?

Ciao, Eric