Yamaha 1999 C115TXRX will turn over but not fire after restoring gauge cluster.

Matt V

Cadet
Initial symptoms was engine was boggin down at 2Krpm coming up on throttle. Changed fuel pump... no fix! Ignition coil check, # 2 feels like it was fireing randomly. 1,3,4 Sparking away in my hand! While waiting on ordered Ignition coil. I restored all gauges free of corrosion. After reinstaling, the engine will rotate but not start!

12v's, good
binnacle neutral safety sw, good

Calling my buddy, need a second hand to crank engine while Im at the engine to see if I'm getting spark.

Any troubleshooting tips greatly appreciated!

Matt

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha 1999 C115TXRX will turn over but not fire after restoring gauge cluster.

Back to basics. Check your compression. Check your spark on a spark board. Here is a clue...if you disconnect the main engine wire harness, you will get spark, unless there is a problem on the engine harness. Be careful. If the engine starts (after jumping the brown wire on the start solenoid to the hot wire on the solenoid) and runs, you will not be able to shut it down, short of choking it out or pulling all of the spark plug leads off. Make sure you are at the idle stop, throttle plates are closed before trying this. Bet you screwed something up on the boat harness connections causing a lack of spark. I suggest getting back to basics because you have another problem with the engine, besides it not starting now.

jeff acton

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 1999 C115TXRX will turn over but not fire after restoring gauge cluster.

WhiteCollarMarine;3844787]Initial symptoms was engine was boggin down at 2Krpm coming up on throttle. Changed fuel pump... no fix! Ignition coil check, # 2 feels like it was fireing randomly. 1,3,4 Sparking away in my hand! While waiting on ordered Ignition coil. I restored all gauges free of corrosion. After reinstaling, the engine will rotate but not start!

12v's, good
binnacle neutral safety sw, good

Calling my buddy, need a second hand to crank engine while Im at the engine to see if I'm getting spark.

Any troubleshooting tips greatly appreciated!

Matt

jeff acton

Cadet

Matt, I am also having trouble with spark on my Yamaha. Go to the parts store and buy you a spark tester. Get the good one, they are not too expensive and stick it on a plug. It is easily visible from controls and will prove to be a valuable tool. This will eliminate the need for a second person while you are working. Jeff

Matt V

Cadet

making progress found out I accidentally cut a wire in the key switch when cutting a zip tie. spark test inconclusive. bought a new ignition coil swapped out 1 at a time, still no love. puled plug from 1 cylinder at a time ran at 3000 rpm to find inconsistence spark. number 3 cylinder spark plug wire removed, running engine on 3 cylinders at 3000 rpm runs smooth. could it be the CDI sending unit?