Suzuki 70hp Overheats at Full Throttle

snowtrax00

Cadet
The boat has 200 hours on it now (it's a 2005 but wasn't put into service until 2008). It's always been serviced and it has the correct prop on it. When I go full throttle for about a minute all of the idiot lights come on - rev, temp. and it goes into limp mode. I've read about someone else having the same problem and the consensus was that the rpm gauge was off which I think is incorrect. It redlines at about 5200rpm which is perfectly safe and the impeller is new. Any suggestions? This will be my last Suzuki.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Suzuki 70hp Overheats at Full Throttle

Maybe inspect/clean/replace thermostat and pressure control valve, which can get sticky due to mineral/corrosion deposits, causing overheating. Probably should inspect these when doing the new water pump impeller. Good Luck!:)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Need to check to see what is setting off the alarm, I believe some Suzuki's have water level switches along with overtemp and oil flow switch.
But not sure what sets of the rev you listed

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

5200 isn't ok, it's at the very bottom of the 5200-5800 window and this particular engine like to be at or above 5800 with a light load WOT. Besides being easier on the engine it will perform A LOT better, trust me. Mines a 98' and has 1500+ trouble free hours. And like others said, toss a new thermostat in it, couldn't hurt.