1992 90 hp yamaha battery hooked up wrong

edward g

Recruit
I put the wrong leads on the battery. 1 engine had a fuse,replaced that all ok. The other had no fuse..it got the full shot. What did I fry,what should I replace? Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 90 hp yamaha battery hooked up wrong

Engine probably has an alternator to charge your batteries. Alternator is basically a magnetic device that spins a magnet in the vicinity of wires to produce power (volt-amps, watts) Since alternators are alternating current devices, AC, you need to rectify that AC to direct current (DC) so that it can charge your battery since it is a DC device.

Somewhere in your engine is a set of rectifier diodes that perform that function, not under the flywheel, a module, alum case half dozen wires, epoxy potted, mounted off the block somewhere, as is the case in any OTR vehicle with same said device. When you reverse polarity these critters you short out the reverse polarity diodes and they melt and rather than being a diode, are just a piece of wire and play heck with everything.

So, in short, find your diodes, probably in your "regulator module" and change it. Should solve the rest of your problem.

Mark