Thin-wall spark plug wrench for Yamaha?

2cycle1

Recruit
I have a Yamaha 25 HP 4-stroke model F25ER, that's a few years old and need to change spark plugs. I know it takes an 18mm, deep socket wrench, but the clearance to the casting around the plug is really small and I haven't found a deep socket or spark plug wrench that is thin-walled enough to work. What have others used??
-
I'm thinking of buying a cheap, deep, 18mm socket and grinding the outer wall down, but I know tool-steel is hard and may not grind easy.
-
Help!
Thanks!
Dave

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thin-wall spark plug wrench for Yamaha?

You can buy a cheap little tool that is made for motorcycle engines but it isn't a socket that can mount on a ratchet....or you can get a
Blackhawk, Snap-On, Matco, or other high quality socket that uses better steel and doesn't have to be so thick to be strong....you'll find lots of applications on Yamaha's that require better tools to get clearance.

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have an '06 50hp 2-stroke and I use a craftsmen socket...not sure if you've tried one of theirs? Even if you have to buy a $30 snap-on socket, it'd be the last one you ever have to buy atleast!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

cheep sockets grind easy

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

DSC00496.JPGI have a 2005 25hp Yamaha and this is what you need. Cost me .50 cents bought from a lawn-mower shop.DSC00497.JPG