Early 90's Yamaha 85 hp

dickjustice

Cadet
I recently purchased this motor to replace a 75 hp force that had a cracked block for a 25 ft pontoon boat. A shade tree boat mechanic found the engine for me and I let him install it. Of course I was assured that the motor would run fine, but when I took it out for a test drive the new to me motor did not seem right. First, the motor cranks and idles like a champ and accelerates to half throttle fine but when I continue on past half throttle there is not a difference in performance. I checked the throttle linkage to make sure that it was opening up the carbs past half throttle and it seemed to be operating fine. Needless to say, but I was very dissappointed when the new motor with 10 more hp was actually slower than my old motor only running off of 2 cylinders. I am going to change the fuel filter this week and run a can of seafoam through it. Anybody got any ideas where I should start checking if its not the fuel filter. It seems to me that its not getting enough fuel.

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Early 90's Yamaha 85 hp

Carb clean, you'd hate to toast a cylinder. Check for spark on all three cylinders and proper timing advance as well.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 93 yahama had a similar issue. It turned out to be the gas line so be sure to check that for blockage. Mine would gain speed then just slow down I thought I was the linkage as well. Could also try some seafoam, but if the crabs are gummed up bad you will need to rebuild as mentioned above.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

As they have already stated, if it is running lean because of fuel problems and you keep running it , you will smoke a piston and kill yet another motor. Troubleshoot and fix it properly