yamaha 2006 4 stroke alarm did i kill the engine?

upset

Recruit
Both batteries were dead on boat and would not hold a charge. Hooked back up to charge enough to start to get to ramp. Motor started and I was going to lower it into the water if it did. It is quiet, I forgot and after a few minutes I cut it off when I heard a beep. Battery appeared dead again when I tried to turn the ignition ( without it beeping). I hooked it back to the charger. A few hours later another family member got it started and drove it toward the ramp. it would barely go according to them and it died. I do not know if the alarm was going off at this point. They had to be towed in. Now the moter has melted parts. How much damage was done when and by whom. I'll take responsibility but am curious. I feel like a complete idiot and probably should. The mechanic who we trust said he has never seen one melt like this but that isn't my question.

poboyracin

Recruit
Re: yamaha 2006 4 stroke alarm did i kill the engine?

So yall were running it on the trailer with no water at all? For more than a few seconds? You both are at fault.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: yamaha 2006 4 stroke alarm did i kill the engine?

You do not say what motor or what parts are melted, but if you ran it without water you are the one that killed water pump as the water pump would not work after melting even when he put it down to pick up water. The motor should not have shut of because of over heat unless it was so hot it locked up the motor.
And they said it would barely go, so there was damage already or the safe mode was in so the RPMs were restricted.

Do you know if the alarm system works?
If they ran it even with the alarm system sounding then it may have damaged the motor even more.

Either way let us know what all was damaged