Yamaha 200 HPDI Alarm and Stall - Won't Restart

Ronbone2

Recruit
I have a 2003 Yamaha 200 HPDI that was rebuilt in 2009. Rebuild has about 250 hours on it. Before putting the boat away last season I fogged the engine, filled and treated (Marine sta-bil and ring free) the gas tank as usual. Before launching this season I ran the boat a few times on ear muffs, no problem. I launched the boat last week, and while idling at the launch the overheat alarm (or oil alarm, or water alarm) came on and stayed on. I ran the boat a few hundred yards hoping the water passages would clear but the alarm stayed on. I decided to put the boat in the slip to troubleshoot, and it stalled and wouldn't restart. Tried several times to restart but no luck. It would spit and turn over but would not stay running. Got the boat back on the trailer and used the flush fixture and the alarm cleared, but motor still wouldn't start. Boat is now at a local shop behind a long waiting line. I'm at wits end and paranoid now especially after the $16K rebuild. Any ideas? Thanks.

jrkimrey

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 200 HPDI Alarm and Stall - Won't Restart

This sounds very similar to what I experienced. I have twin 150 hpdis with low hours that ran fine with the muffs on but as soon as I left the dock a constant alarm sounded and both engines began to bog down until they cut off. The bulb on the fuel line was rock hard and there was no water in the fuel water separator. I tried restarting them but they wouldn't catch and stay started. If they did start they had no rpm. I thought it might be a dirty fuel problem and replaced the fuel water separators and all the filters. Was wondering if you figured out what was wrong with your engine because I am out of ideas and hoping its not fuel pumps?

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Yamaha 200 HPDI Alarm and Stall - Won't Restart

Alarm will only sound for high temp, low oil or loose battery cable.