Yamaha 250 HP 4 Stroke Throttle control problem

divedude

Cadet
I have a 2006 Yamaha F250 TUR and I am having a difficult time controlling the throttle. When I try to accelerate ever so slightly, the RPM's jump by 1000. It happens even more when I try to decelerate. It will go from 2000 RPM's to 1000 RPM's with the slightest touch. If I use my hand for leverage against the cockpit, I can get a little better control when I accelerate, but not when I decelerate.

It is under warranty, and I have brought it to 3 different Yamaha certified mechanics. Two gave up, and one said they could not find anything wrong with it.
The engine only has 260 hours, and the cables are good. Also, one guy took apart the throttle body and could not find anything sticking.
This particular model has a mechanical cable and an electric throttle control.

I have created a video to demonstrate the problem.

Any help would be appreciated. I have kids and I am concerned of what would happen if I ever get in a dangerous situation.

Thanks, everyone....

divedude

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 250 HP 4 Stroke Throttle control problem

You need to find a shop with a Yamaha Master tech
http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/dealer-locator

Seems they should have called in some help from Yamaha if they could not fix it

Both places did call Yamaha. The first place thought that the throttle body was bad and said they would have to send it Yamaha and if Yamaha said it was OK, that we would be wasting time. Basically, the first place did not want to deal with it.

The second place was sure that the throttle body was gummed up and sticky. The opened it up and found no problem.

I feel like I am getting the run around. This is why I did the video and wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem, or is this just they way it is designed.

Should you be able to control a motor like this in plus or minus 100 RPM movements? I would think so. I was going under a bridge that had waves and strong currents and I came close to slaming into the sides of the bridge yesterday.

The boat is new to me and I need to get used to it, but I feel that there is a problem if I have to "baby it" to get it to accellerate and to accept that it will always go down 1000 RPMs when I throttle down.

Thanks,

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Good luck with your search, I agree with you and it should not be that hard to control.

I have never looked at one with a mechanical cable and an electric throttle control.

Tdillon

Recruit

Mine does the same in Neutral. Put boat in the water under load and it will work normal, unless you put it in neutral.

Capt Ken

Commander

The dealership can have their area tech Representive come by and check it out to witness the problem. The rep can then authorize whatever is needed. Have you taken it to the selling dealer?

divedude

Cadet

Well, it has been a while since my boat has been "fixed".
Shortly after I shot the video, I had the boat repaired at a 5 star Yamaha dealer. They replaced the throttle body, (even though there were reasonably certain that it was not the problem), changed the cables with Yamaha cables, and relocated the hole in near the transom where the cable/wires come out.
There is an improvement, but it is still difficult to control, even after almost a year of trying to get used to it. The other day, I was in a tight situation with another boat and I needed to quickly switch to reverse. Since I was rushed, I gave it way too much gas and almost lost control of the situation. If I am slow, careful and keep a steady hand I can control it. It still do not like it at all and wished I had a completely electronic control. It is out of warranty now so I don't think that anything can be done. So many people have looked at it, and the shop really tried.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be open to hearing them.

Thanks again!!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

PM = Private Message
Look under Notifications at top of page