suzuki ,starting problems!!!fuel?

murdoch67

Recruit
i have a suzuki dt30c,1988-97, oil injection,2 stroke, 3 cylinders thats been services and ran about 5 months ago...i,ve now put it back on the boat and connected every up..my engine seems to do everything but start..when i prime the fuel bulb a few times the fuels seems to leak from the connection into the outboard..like there,s an obstruction...i,ve discconected the fuel line in different places to see if theres a blockage, fuel comes out after the fuel filter and if i open the bleed screw at the bottom of the carburator i get a drip of fuel,so keep thinking its to do with the float of needlr values which should be clean due to the service i think...the outboard trys to start but still does,nt seem to get the fuel is needs
a) i,ve check the spark plugs...which are fine...
b)i have good compression in all cylinders...
c) fuel is new
Is there anything else i can trybefore dismantling the carburator.. or am i missing something really simple..i have a engineering background but know very little of outboards in general..any help would be appreicated folks

p.s ..this might be a stupid question but when i bought this outboard , i was told just to fill it when normal fuel..am i right in thinking that the oil injection add the oil automaticaly...or should i still have a normal 2 stoke fuel mix..

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: suzuki ,starting problems!!!fuel?

Sounds like you let this motor sit for 5 months without starting it, you must be in the cold part of the world, I tend to run mine all year round. It is important to get the motor ready for a long term storage before putting it up, draining fuel out of carbs and lines and fogging the shiny metal parts with oil to keep them from rusting up.

Probably is the needles stuck in the seats not letting fuel into carbs, need to take them apart and clean up the dried up fuel residue in carbs, lines ,and pump areas and then readjust carbs like service manual calls for

Yes the oil injected motors only need straight fuel as it mixes its own oil , as long as you keep the oil system in good shape.
There are things you need to do to that system also to make sure it stays clean and works properly

murdoch67

Recruit

thanks 99yam40 for your imput..yeah i,m in holland and we had a pretty cold spell over winter..basically my boat sank at the end of summer but i was able to salvage it.. the outboard went directly from the water to the suzuki dealer who serviced it and cleaned the carb out..he also ran the outboard...i did,nt get the chance to put it back on the boat ,before winter arrived, so it sat in the garden covered for most of the cold months..i manually rotated the fly wheel from time to time to keep things moving but was thinking that things might be gummed up...looks like i,ll be stripping it down then,was just wondering if there was another way of loosening it up.. and i,ll take your advice and take some better precautions this winter..cheers man!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Being as it sunk and you never ran it after you got it back, you may want to talk to the dealer you had service it before you do anything just to see if he will warranty his work.
There is no way of knowing what all could be wrong with a motor that went under water,
and I would wonder if oil system was cleaned, flushed, serviced properly. As it could have water and/or air in it .

murdoch67

Recruit

according to the suzuki dealers report all steps were taken and water had,nt entered the cylinders..the outboard itself was semi submerged.. the carburator was stripped and cleaned...i,ll go back and speak to him...but was really wanting to sort out the problem myself , its so close to starting on every turn of the key...frustrating right enough but we,ll get there in the end and i,ll have a better knowledge of my outboard hopefully..

James R

Commander

Sounds like a strip and clean of the carbs wouldn't hurt. If the carbs are not working then the lube is not working and you burn up a good motor. A manual would be most helpful in setting up the carbs. Always use Stabil in your fuel and avoid carb fuel related problems.
Don't play around with that spray carb cleaner, you will do damage! Carbs should be dismantled and soaked in Gunk Carb and Parts cleaner or similar. Beware, some cleaners with destroy coatings and plastic parts.

behlenbeck

Recruit

Maybe oversimplified, but are you pushing in your key / choke before/during turning the key? I have DT30C and had a similar issue when I first got the motor. Once I was told how to choke it, it started right up (I have a NA12S remote control) . Just a thought...

Firemanpat01

Cadet

Hi boys, clean out the bowl of the carbie I can put money on it that it's full of jelly and causing it to be blocked , the cause??? Fuel being left in it over a long period of time, simple to do just don't forget what goes we're . Good luck let us know how you go

James R

Commander

Firemanpat. Suzuki carbs are very sensitive to contaminants. Just cleaning the bowl will not do. Do a proper job or don't do it at all.

murdoch67

Recruit

i know.. i had an issue with this when i first got this boat..unfortunatley i only had the boat a very short time before the big storm...could you run through your starting procedure for me and i,ll try it..i push the key in and turn it till i hear a click,release and then turn the key completely..will be happy to try your procedure before i start stripping the carburator as the other guys have stated as i think thats were the problems is ...thanks everyone for your input,i,m on the right road.. fingers crosed.

James R

Commander

Lets get back to basics.
If fuel is leaking from the connection you have a bad connection or hose.
To start the motor open the throttle a bit. Assuming that you dont have a pull out choke. Turn the key and hold it in until until the motor fires. May need to push the key in a few times to keep it running until warmed up. Once running throttle back to idle.