Yamaha 28hp Engine Movement on Shaft

Yam28hp

Recruit
Hi there.
Hope you can make sense of what im about to type lol
I just bought an old 28hp Yamaha for my first boat. It is electric start & ive used it now 6 or 7 times & it starts & runs like a dream.
Only problem is,, When its runnin, there seems to be alot of excess movement from the engine where it mounts on top of the upright shaft. Even when it is switched off,, when i put my hand on the front of engine cover & i push,, engine moves slightly back & forward with a little play. Ive it linked up to cable controls & again when its running & i push my hand against cover,, the engine revs a little more, & its the excess play that making it pull a little on the throttle cable. Its making the engine shake about on its shaft at idle.
Is there a bushing i can replace where the engine attaches onto the top of shaft or any way i can tighten this up? Ive tried tighening the adjustable screw under the engine but his just makes it harder to steer & doesnt help in gettin rid of the excess movement,
Hope im describing this in an understandable way, but to summarise, Where the hinge is that the engine pivots on to steer right & left seems very loose.
Any help or advise would be very much appriciated. :)
Thanks guys :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 28hp Engine Movement on Shaft

probably the rubber motor mounts are shot

Yam28hp

Recruit

Captain,, thanks so much for your reply,, but just to verify,, I dont mean that engine is moving where it attaches to the boat,, The outer shaft from the bottom of engine right down to where the prop is, is rigid & has no movement & also where the outter shaft attaches to transom bracket is rigid & firm also. This excess movment i talk about seems to be internal at the point where the motor pivots & steers at the very top of shaft. Its a slight shake in the engine itself, but not anywhere below that,,
So do u mean that there is ruber mounts i cvan buy that fit internally where the steering hinge 1st connects to motor?
Hope that makes sense also. :/
Thanks again for reply :)

Yam28hp

Recruit

99yam40,, soz for calling you Captain,, New to site & thought that was ur username! lol :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Possibly bad bushings in pivot tube, you will have to find the motor modle # and look up parts breakdown of your motor