Yamaha SX250TXRA external oil tank

Manateeoncruise

Recruit
I do have a problem with my external oil tank on the Yamaha SX250.
I bought the engine about 20hrs ago with 180hrs on it. The external oil tank is brand new.
The engine sounds the low oil level alarm after about 20 minutes runitme and the engine oil tank is low while the external oil tank is full. After refill of the engine oil tank all is fine again.

When I try to duplicate the problem on the trailer the following happens with ignition on:

Removing the oil level sensor of the engine oil tank leads to nothing (no oil pump start whereas the sensor should send a low level signal now).
Engaging the "emergency switch" leads to a running oil pump in the external tank and fills the engine tank.

Removing the level sensor of the engine oil tank and measuring it leads to the following:

4 wires leave the sensor (blue/green, blue/white, blue/red, black) and 5 (?!?) wires arrive at the plug (one blue/red turns into 2 blue/reds).
The upper sensor connects black to blue/white when up (=tank full).
The lower sensor connects blue/red to blue/white when down (=tank dry) but only when upper sensor is up.
Not only that I do not understand the logic behind it. But it does not work as desired :)
Does anyone have a better idea then changing the CDI or (preferred) tying the sensors in place and fuelling with mix (i.e. throwing the seperate oil system out of the window)?

Thanks for help

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha SX250TXRA external oil tank

Do a forum search for no oil transfer , it has been covered many times.

Or better yet pick up a service manual for your motor, it will help greatly if you plan on working on this motor yourself

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha SX250TXRA external oil tank

Well if the tank is new that doesent mean the wire harness is. You can check for kinks in the oil transfer hose. Also mixing two different kinds of oil will gel causing clogged filters.