Yamaha 60 starter problems?

stryker315

Recruit
I have a 2003 Yamaha 60 4 stroke with starting problems. I was just getting a clicking noise so I changed the battery becuase it was about time anyway. Still getting clicking but no starting. Cables and connections seem to be in good shape. I noticed a little smoke coming out of the bottom area of the starter when turning the key. Does this mean starter is fried? I have been told that these starters almost never fail.

Rolle123

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 60 starter problems?

I have a 2003 Yamaha 60 4 stroke with starting problems. I was just getting a clicking noise so I changed the battery becuase it was about time anyway. Still getting clicking but no starting. Cables and connections seem to be in good shape. I noticed a little smoke coming out of the bottom area of the starter when turning the key. Does this mean starter is fried? I have been told that these starters almost never fail.

When I had a similar problem it was not related to the engine itself, instead the main current switch was broken. Try bypass the on/off current switch.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha 60 starter problems?

Howdy, stryker.

Welcome to iboats. :)

"Seem to be in good shape" is a common disguise of corroded battery cable connections. Take them off and scrub the connectors shiny. Give particular attention to where the battery ground cable bolts to the engine block.

Good luck. :)

hmong

Recruit
I have the same problem with my 75 4 stroke. I replace the battery and it started but took it for a ride around the lake and it would not turn over just clicking noise. took the cover off and turn the key and discover smoke coming from the stator assy. Does this mean I need a new starter motor. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

hmong

Recruit
I have the same problem with my 75 4 stroke. I replace the battery and it started but took it for a ride around the lake and it would not turn over just clicking noise. took the cover off and turn the key and discover smoke coming from the stator assy. Does this mean I need a new starter motor. Any help on this would be much appreciated.