Yamaha 130TXRS max 3000 RPM when in gear

tsekc1950

Recruit
New to the forum. Just purchased a boat with a 1994 Yamaha 130TXRS 2 cycle on it. Had it out for our maiden voyage last weekend and the engine ran flawlessly for a couple of hours, including extended high power operation on our way back to the slip.

I was taking the boat out this evening for a run and when I applied full throttle, I could only get about 3000-3200 RPM. I stopped, put it in reverse and did a burst of power and it went to ~4500 RPM. I than disengaged the drive and applied progressive forward throttle and the RPM went easily to 4000. I did a quick burst of more throttle and it went to 5000.

I was running out of daylight, so I'm going out in the morning to pull the spark plugs to check for fouling. The only thing I can think it might be is an electrical issue (fouled plug, bad wire) when under load, since it will go to high RPM with the gearbox disengaged, but only ~3000 RPM when it is engaged. The motor doesn't have an apparent misfire, although I'm new to outboards and am not sure how detectable it is on motors like this.

Any insight would be appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 130TXRS max 3000 RPM when in gear

compression, spark, and timing are easy to test, so do that 1st.
most problems end up as fuel, but it is a good idea to eliminate the other stuff that is testable 1st
check/clean/replace filters, test/replace fuel pump, look for water contamination, drain tank if needed and clean, flush lines or replace if they are deteriorating on the inside, and clean carbs.
Always do the link and sync like the Yamaha service manual says after reinstalling carbs

tsekc1950

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 130TXRS max 3000 RPM when in gear

Thanks for the input. Thought I'd start with the compression test so did a warm-up run. Got back to the slip and pulled the engine cover. As I reached to pull the ignition wires off of the plugs, I noticed the ignition wire for the top cylinder on the starboard side was dangling. Plugged it back into the coil and took it out for a test run. Everything operated normally. Problem solved. Put about 5 hours on the engine today with no problems. Needed to take advantage of this 80 degree weather here in Portsmouth, NH . Again, I appreciate your input.

Terry