2000 Yamaha 9.9 OIL LEAK FROM LOWER DRIVE UNIT

tinkering

Recruit
Yamaha 2000 T9.9ELRY 4 Stroke. Why is gear oil leaking from 2 of the 4 wee holes at the top front of the lower drive unit. I haven't noticed so far any oil throwing from the prop seal; haven't noticed any signs oil coming out of the water pump pee hole. The drive unit did have milky custard water oil. Which seal/s is/are the likely culprit/s? Could the shift rod boot be the problem; is it a combination boot and seal? If the pinion shaft seal is leaking wouldn't there be oil coming out with the water at the pee hole?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2000 Yamaha 9.9 OIL LEAK FROM LOWER DRIVE UNIT

pressure test lower unit to see what is leaking

tinkering

Recruit

pressure test lower unit to see what is leaking

What is the easiest way to do that? Does this sound right?:Take the LDU off, use compressor with rubber nozzle tip at 5 to 10 lbs (pressure it with what kind of fitting/ what hole?); turn LDU up side down etc. and wait to see and hear the oil and air seepage? I imagine the LDU will have to come off for that?

tinkering

Recruit

What is the easiest way to do that? Does this sound right?:Take the LDU off, use compressor with rubber nozzle tip at 5 to 10 lbs (pressure it with what kind of fitting/ what hole?); turn LDU up side down etc. and wait to see and hear the oil and air seepage? I imagine the LDU will have to come off for that?

A one way valve would be handy.