1989 Suzuki DT90 Oil Light

msgt2be

Recruit
Just bought a boat with a 1989 Suzuki DT 90. It was running great and the other dayI was running low on oil so I bought BRP XD-30 oil. I filled it up and took it out the next day. Well when we went out the motor started fine, but when I advanced the throttle, he oil light came on along with the buzzer. When I pulled throttle back the light & buzzer went off. I couldn't even advance throttle enough to get on step. I don't know if is the oil or a possible part failure. Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Suzuki DT90 Oil Light

It's your little white filter/sensor below your oil tank. Replace with new

msgt2be

Recruit

Thanks for your input with was definitely appreciated! Checked out filter you referred to and its not really a filter but a screen. Cleaned that out and put back together. Checked thermostats, good to go and took out for test spin with same problem occurring. Did find cracked oil cap, someone said that may be the problem cause the oil tank pressurizes, dont know if I beleive that. Also read in owners manual there is a port to bleed air from oil system. I'm going to try that tonight. Also found out the oil light that is coming on is a oil flow light, so hopefully its not the oil pump and maybe a bad sensor. Will update later............

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

you need to mix oil with your fuel until you get this thing figured out , or you will not have a motor very long if it is a true lack of oil flow.
Make sure you purge the new oil/fuel mix through the system and into motor so that you are burning the mix and not straight gas.
Clean tank and oil lines, purge air out of system. When sure it is mixing oil the you can do away with mixed fuel

msgt2be

Recruit

Getting very frustrated!! Sealed cracked oil cap (new one still has not arrived), pulled numerous oil lines and flushed/cleaned and purged air from system. Took for test spin and ran great except could not get full throttle without ligth illuminating with associated buzzer sounding. But was able to get up on step and cruise for about 2 miles then problem repeated! Repair manual arrived yesterday and I put a oil sensor on order. Going to read up a little and see what else can be done. Still holding out hope its not the pump.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

gear driven pumps do not normally go bad so maybe you will find a simple solution