2003 Yamaha 150 TXRB cutting off when putting in gear

thetruepro

Recruit
Hey guys, I am by no means a tech or an expert, just a guys who loves to fish. So I took my boat out on the water today for a test run of my new sonar electronics, and the motor was pretty hard to start. I got her going finally (first time in the water since sitting all winter, but it was winterized), went about 100 yards from the dock and she shuts off. Was able to get her started again but as soon as I put it into gear the RPMs would drop down below 1,000 and the motor would die. Starts right up again, but does the same thing if i put it into gear.

If i hit the button and crank the throttle up high when it it in neutral, it does crank up high and seems to work OK like that, but once I put her actually in gear it shuts down.

I was able to get it going a couple of times and ram the throttle hard and she took off, and ran for 5-10 mins ok, but as soon as I throttled back down she does the same thing again.

Big fishing trip next weekend and I need to figure it out asap. any thoughts/help are very much appreciated.!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2003 Yamaha 150 TXRB cutting off when putting in gear

sounds like carbs need to be gone through

But never hurts to check compression, spark, and timing,
clean/replace filters, and spark plugs

thetruepro

Recruit
Re: 2003 Yamaha 150 TXRB cutting off when putting in gear

sounds like carbs need to be gone through

But never hurts to check compression, spark, and timing,
clean/replace filters, and spark plugs

Do you know of any videos online or have some basic instructions somewhere that show how I can clean the carbs on this engine? I'd love to give it a shot and see if that is the problem. I read in the owners manual the process of taking apart the fuel filter so I think I can give that a shot.....

Goal is to do as much as I can without taking it to the dealer, they'll have it for more than a week as they always are backed up this time of year with guys trying to get out next saturday (big Walleye opener for us Minnesota guys)

THANKs in advance