2004 Yamaha 200 HPDI rough idling & no power

lemonroad

Recruit
Went to the lake yesterday my yamaha wouldnt plain out, no power. I noticed it was idling rough. Turned the key off then restarted and it ran fine for a few hrs then the same problem happened again. I turned the key off and restarted then it ran fine?

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2004 Yamaha 200 HPDI rough idling & no power

Check all the grounds, that means on engine, batteries, battery switch, ignition key/dash....corrosion problem.

lemonroad

Recruit

I just had this motor put on my boat, it had a mercury so lots of changes. I do see a black wire under the dash that isnt connected to anything?

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Again, where most motors use a hot wire to 'complete' a circuit, Yamaha uses the ground....check all the grounds, not by looking at them or you'll be stuck like this forever....did have another thought....you might check the vacuum with a cheap vac.gauge(napa, autozone) hooked up just upstream of the ENGINE'S first fuel filter(the one in front)....this does kinda sound like a blocked vent or 'coast gaurd' valve on tank....symptoms would be it runs ok for a while then starves for gas...stop and the vacuum goes away and then runs again a little....if it happens then check the bulb right away and see if you can squeeze it, should be hard. One more thing....the rough idle....pull the O2 sensor and clean with a torch(no chemicals!!) carefully and pull the little tube that connects it to the exhaust...clean out the tube also.

lemonroad

Recruit

Where is the 02 sensor located? Also I tried pumping the bulb on the lake but it wouldnt pump up when I was having the problem. The vent for the tank is ran to the fuel inlet, dont see how it vents when the cap is on? Thanks for your help!!!!

lemonroad

Recruit

Believe I have solved the puzzle, for some reason my motor will start in gear, whenever I do that it runs rough and will not plain out. Whenever I start it in neutral it idles and runs fine. Not sure why it is starting ing gear? Thanks for you help yamatech43!!!

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, sounds like the neutral interrupt switch is bad....probably starting in gear with load is causing the puter to freak out a little....never ran into this before so don't know what it would do....may have to try that one day. Congrats on finding the prob.
I said neutral interrupt switch and that's not right at all...neutral interupt lets you shift easily on lots of motors....it's the neutral SAFETY switch...(edited)

Last edited: