How much is a 2003 Yamaha 15 HP 15MSHB Tiller Motor Worth? ADVICE PLEASE!!!

RonJon24

Seaman
Hello, thanks for Looking.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2003 Yamaha 15 MSHB 15 hp 2 cycle non-electric start tiller motor for $1100. I am wondering if this is a great deal, or at least a good deal.

The motor appears to be in decent shape, but their are some scuffs and scratches. The bottom of the foot has been hit against something hard, and has been flattened a tiny bit, as well as the aluminum prop has a small flat spot on all three blades. It probably all happened at the same time and seems to have had the foot slammed down against concrete or something in shallow water. I don't think it has any effect on running besides the loss in aerodynamics and prop loss.

What is the range in price in this motor, and how could I find that out? What would you paY for it?

For a 2003, I would say. It's in fair shape, but not great. One a scale of 1-10, from appearance alone, I'd say its a 5 or a 6.

I have not ran it, but plan to. If it doesn't run perfect, I don't plan to buy it. If it does run like a top, I am wondering what is the range I should expect to pay with the damage listed. I do have pics. I am not sure how to post them yet.

RonJon24

Seaman
Re: How much is a 2003 Yamaha 15 HP 15MSHB Tiller Motor Worth? ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Come on guys! Someone give me an opinion! I know it's just an opinion!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd say $1100 is a pretty good price.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Given that outboard values change a lot with location and season my opinion is that it is useless speculation to quote a price.

In April, in Georgia, it will be grossly overpriced. It is worth what you have to pay to get it.

By the way, shouting demands is NOT a good way to get help.

RonJon24

Seaman

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help, especially T_Herrod.

JB, Thank you for your feedback. I realize that it is impossible to name a price without speculation, and that the geographic location and season plays into the price. I have talked to some local hobbyist, and have gotten some help in these forums. I was not asking for anyone to place a absolute bottom line value on the motor, but more asking what is the price range that one could except. What is a ball park at any time and in any market. Could one expect to pay 800-1100, or 1000-1400, and where this $1100 fell into that range. I was simply asking is this on the high side you should expect to pay, the low side, or out of range completely.

As far and shouting... I am new here, thank you for correcting me on online etiquette. Your comment has reminded me that all caps is considered shouting online. I hope you, as well as other readers, can determine "advice please" is not a "demand". Both words, "advice" & "please" are very humble, gentle, and sincere. I am clearing putting myself at the mercy of an experienced boating world and asking for help, not demanding it. Just because something is said enthusiastically does not mean it is a "demand". I am an enthusiastic person and generally speak with a lot of emotion and energy. I will try and harness that in this forum as not to be misunderstood.

As far as being new here, I have felt truly welcomed and have found helpful comments from everyone but you. That honestly surprised me seeing that you are a moderator. I apologize if my "advice please" came across as offensive, rude, or like a demand to you. I will be much more careful using caps in the future. Thank you for helping me improve my use of these forums.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think I mentioned this in your other thread but I just paid $600 for an '85 Evinrude 15 and there were people lined up after me to grab it at that price. For a 2003 Yamaha, especially in the Spring, I do not think an asking price of $1100 is at all out of line. I think a screaming deal would be anything under $1000 but $1100 is more than fair. A new one is between $2000-$3000.

RonJon24

Seaman

I agree ezmobee, I just needed a few folks to reassure me that it is fair. I really appreciate your comments.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Seems not that many years ago the small motors went for about $100 a HP new, but it was probably more than a few years ago and may not have been Yamaha's. I have not looked to see what a new 15 will run, but what is the warranty worth to you. If you are not happy with paying that price offer less, but keep in mind someone else may buy it at that price. If you do not really care if you do not get the motor then it is easier to play the game
A good running used motor is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and it does not come with any warranty, so you are rolling the dice on anything used if you can not get some kind of guarantee. You may need to put some more money into it if there are any problem.

A look at the compression (not them saying what it was), look at lower unit oil, Check timing with timing light( CDI can get pricey just to correct idle timing, just ask how I know),and ask about what maintenance has been done and when and be sure to run it at all RPM ranges to be sure it performs as you would like it to.
I would never buy a motor I could not run through it's RPM ranges for some time

1080tommy1

Seaman

I recently bought a smaller outboard and did not run it. I would have noticed that the carbs were clogged and probably could have negotiated a better price. I was hot to get a motor on the boat because spring was coming and I wanted to be ready to fish. I live just outside of Chicago so I was also hot to get a motor before prices went up for the spring. It did turn out to be a great buy and got the motor for 1400 and it was a 99 Yammi 40. I think a 2003 in good working order would go for that price however 99yam40 makes some great points. Make sure compression is strong, and she runs because these could be negotiating points for you. Not saying if the engine does not run perfect it is a total loss but some things are easy to fix and others are not and expensive. Just take your time, run it, and then do some checks to ensure she is in good repair and then make your decision. Good luck.

RonJon24

Seaman

I bought the motor for a grand, and love it. I think it was more than fair seeing that this motor seems to be in high demand, being a 2 stroke.