Tell tale and thermostat on 1994 Yamaha 25 hp 2 cycle

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1994 Yamaha 25 hp 2 cycle #C25ELRS that I've only owned a few months. I started the motor today with muffs and noticed the tell tale was not streaming water, nor was the return hole, just below the transom bracket on the front of the motor, if that's the correct term.

I shut it down, re-positioned the muffs, tried again with same results. Third time the tell tale and return both started putting out water. I figured the thermostat had not opened. I ran the motor for a few minutes and all was fine.

Then I read here tonight after doing a search that the thermostat would not affect the tell tale. I guess my question is-does it take a few seconds from a cold start to pick up water and start putting it out?

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Tell tale and thermostat on 1994 Yamaha 25 hp 2 cycle

The tell tale is incoming water. Tell tales get clogged with junk or bugs. If it happens again take the hose off & blow it out.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Yes it has to fill thing up in the motor so it take a few to start putting out water. But if you have no idea when the pump was replaced I would change it, Yamaha recommends replacement every few years along with the stat. Preventative replacement is better than waiting for something to fail

1080tommy1

Seaman

I recently purchased a 99 Yamaha 40hp and had the same issue. I started it up and water was coming out of the tell tale but suddenly stopped. I shut the motor down and restarted after checking the lines and water was coming out but very slowly. I figured something clogged the line. I did the same thing and no tell tale or very little. I did the preventative maintenance thing such as 99yam40 suggests and was glad I did because after the impeller replacement, my tell tale is extremely strong which tells me the imperller was the problem. Should take all of a half hour for you to relplace and you will be glad you did when you see the tell tale. On mine even at a very slow idle, with earmuffs there is a decent tell tale. Hope you figure it out!

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, guys. I think I'll do the pump and thermostat. Might save me a day fishing, not to mention a motor.

Tommy, is the thermostat in the same area as the water pump? I did a water pump years ago on an old 5 1/2 Johnson, and it wasn't a bad job at all.

John

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

stat is in head and pump in lower unit
Service manual will be a great help

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

stat is in head and pump in lower unit
Service manual will be a great help

I finally found that the thermostat was somewhere above the spark plug area, and I've changed a water pump or two years ago. I plan on getting a manual tomorrow.

Thanks to all, I really appreciate it,

John

1080tommy1

Seaman

Yep the t-stat is in the head above the spark plugs and is a little two bolt cover on it. Sorry for the late response. Good luck with her and the impeller should not take very long. I did mine in about a half hour. Just pay attention to how it comes off and I will tell you that getting the whole kit is the wat to go for the impeller. It will come with all the seals, gasket, and new key for the impeller. The old one should fall out very easily so be careful of that. Also make sure when you are putting the new housing on that you turn it so that the lobes of the impeller are bent because if this is not done you will overheat. There is a youtube vid of a guy doing one on a 50 horse and will give you some good guidance. Good luck.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep the t-stat is in the head above the spark plugs and is a little two bolt cover on it... There is a youtube vid of a guy doing one on a 50 horse and will give you some good guidance. Good luck.

Thanks, Tommy. I should be by a dealer tomorrow.

Johm