2000 Yamaha 90hp TLRY still having issues

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
I posted on here a few weeks ago about my motor having a starter/trim relay issue. I replaced the starter relay and the trim relay assembly and still cant get my TnT to work, the trim motor is less than I year old. But when i hook my relay up the way I remember taking it off and the way my other outboard(Johnson) is wired thats the wire from the TnT assembly box/12v Heavy battery wire/small red wire with inline fuse into the right side(hot) than on the left side its just the wire leading to the starter. The brown ignition wire is hooked in correctly since the motor will start and the ground is hooked up to the starter relay bolt mounting it to the motor along with 3 other ground wire(this may be where im going wrong). Long story short when I hook the battery up the relay sparks and acts like it wants to catch on fire, could this be a short/bad ground?/overload?

somebody please shed some light on this before I pull all my hair out and have to pay a shop to fix the issue ill grab some pics tomorrow of the relays.

Thank you.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2000 Yamaha 90hp TLRY still having issues

Pic will help us understand what you are doing.
Sounds like you have a direct short, as nothing should spark or heat up went just hooking up battery.
Brown wire is from key switch and should not be energized until you turn key to start position. It is what should energize the start relay to engage the starter