how to identify what alarm is going of on 96 yamaha outboard

shadypup99

Cadet
ok, time for a new post. I have a 96 130 saltwater series yamaha outboard. I just fixed a destroyed water pump so on to the next issue. I am getting a warning buzzer. I do not have a yamaha tach with the lights to tell me what is going on. I have identified the wires that would be connected, a grey with black strip, green with red and green with black strip. I dont remember what I figured out that the greens go to, but the grey is the temp sensors. Is there anyway to hook up a multimeter and know which ones are being tripped? And is there any special multi function tach I can hook up to it, I have seen different ones from yamaha on ebay. Not sure what is what in them?

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how to identify what alarm is going of on 96 yamaha outboard

Did you collect all the broken pieces from the water impeller?

shadypup99

Cadet

As far as I know I did. I also took the heads off and did my best to flush water down threw the motor. It appears to be water going threw the heads. As they have a constant temp when I checked them, before it was more like hot spots.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I would suggest you install factory tach with the lights that match up to your engine and oil system. You'll need to go on the internet parts sources, and find out the factory parts number. Then, look on EbayMotors.com (heavily filtered) looking for the correct tach. They all look alike, but you've got to use the correct unit for your model/year. They're not terribly expensive new or used.

Most of the buzzers would be related to the oil injection. It could be insufficient oil levels in the big external tank. It could be insufficient oil level on the small tank on the head. Or, wires can be unplugged.

I think it could also buzz if the engine got too hot. When the buzzers go off, they can often put your engine in a fail safe mode, where the engine won't run fast enough to destroy itself.

If you're going to keep your boat very long, invest in a repair manual. It goes over this subject in detail.

Don't forget that you have a couple of 1" diameter thermostats on the top of the heads. You may be due to replace them. After the engine gets warm, you can check them by using an infrared thermometer--measuring each engine bank while the engine idles.

shadypup99

Cadet

I probably should take the thermostats out and try them in a pot of water, to be sure there not stuck like the popit valve was. But otherwise I think the motor is cooling right now that the water pump is repaired. I just got the large oill tank off of ebay. It hasnt been installed yet. I also ordered a repair manual off of ebay on cd. Not sure how good it will be but I am still trying to figure if this outboard is good or what. The previous owner said it wasnt any good, but he had never run it. I had very little trouble getting it fired up, mainly just had to get a 703 control set up so I had a way to start it. But till I have the buzzer turning off, I am trying not to fork up to much money on it yet. I can always take the 85hp johnson off my old bass boat if I need to.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

hopefully you are running on premix until you make sure oil system is doing it's thing.
Make sure cylinders are sealing properly before going very far on spending money on this thing

shadypup99

Cadet

yea, I have a 2.5 gallon can with premix in it, and a hose straight to it. it has pretty good compression. But I am not overly worried about checking it till I get some new head gaskets on it. When I took the heads off, the gaskets came off in one nice piece, and I was able to reuse them, I was really suprised they didnt leak any water. I plan on ordering them after I have formed a bigger list of parts to order. So far its a list of little parts here and there.

shadypup99

Cadet

Ok, I figured out how to check what alarm was going off, it is a switching ground system, and by that, I know that it was the temp sensor. It appears that the right bank is getting hot, or at least faster than the right. I tried to check the thermostat, but since I havnt gotten my manual in the mail yet, I dont know the specs. I took it out, and the head stayed pretty cool. I tried putting it in hot water. But the only thing that happened was the spring got week. And I could open it by hand at that point. So is the thermostat supposed to pop all the way open like one on a car? Or is it ment to act like a pressure valve?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Stat is a stat no difference between automotive and OB, should open by itself when heated up in pot of water.
How hot did you get the water up to, must not have been very hot if you handled it straight out of the water with bare hands
Motors need stats in place to make water circulate properly to all parts of motor, make sure you put a good one back in

shadypup99

Cadet

I had the water at a soft boil, and was wearing mechanics gloves so I could handle them. My laser thermometer said the thermostat was at 177F. I have already ordered 2 new ones.