1994 Yamaha 40 hp tilt problem

DaveHawkins

Seaman
I recently bought a 1994 Yamaha 40 hp 2 stroke model # C40PLRS. I just rigged the outboard on my J16 Carolina Skiff. I am having issues with the electric tilt. The motor will tilt up with the thumb switch on the control box, but will not tilt down with the switch. I removed the wires from the motor that go directly to the tilt motor and can jump them off a battery and it tilts up and down with no problem. So that it is not a problem with the tilt motor.

Could it be a problem with the tilt switch in the control box? Or something else? How do I diagnose it from here?

Thanks for your help!

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1994 Yamaha 40 hp tilt problem

Locate the switch wires that come from your remote control in the engine pan area. Usually red,green,blue with tracers I think. Using your volt meter you should have 12v at the "blue" wire when you activate the button up since it is working. Now test the" green' wire if you do not have 12v when you push the button down then maybe a bad switch or a bad wire or bad connection. Good luck

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Can you hear the T&T relay pick up when you hit the down?If not you could have a switch problem or wire problem.

If you can hear the relay then it is probably the relay not making contact internally

1080tommy1

Seaman

My father had the same problem but on a different motor. It turned out to be the relay. The motor with tilt up but not down. Checked the wiring and it was good. On his he has two relays, one for up and one for down. I replaced both relays and the motor tilts fine now. If you check the wiring and by pass the relay it is probably the relay. When I bought the relay at the marina, the owner told me that the relays do go bad quite often. Again I am new to the whole outboard motor deal but this makes sense to me. Good luck with it.