2000 Yamaha 130 saltwater series

johnnybahama

Cadet
New patient, s130txrw, Motor running fine when turned off. When they tried to start a week or so later the engine had seized. I pulled both heads and discovered that the head bolts had loosened on the starboard side, or so I think as the gasket was still intact, and #3 had saltwater in it. I tilted it up and soaked it with decarb and was able to free up the piston. I've been working it around and am trying to clean out the rust and salt crystals. The piston is still a bit tight when it comes up past the exhaust port and is leaving some salt and rust residue. I am continuing to soak with decarb rotate the crank. What should I do to clear the rest and free the rings. If possible. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jon

Last edited:

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 Yamaha 130 saltwater series

i would use something with some lubrication, pb blaster, crc, i have also heard of using atf, your issue now is not so much a stuck ring(carbon) but corrosion and salt, let us know how it turns out

johnnybahama

Cadet

Boat left yesterday. #1 140 psi #2 135 psi #3 115 psi #4 135 psi. Left oil injection on for now. advised owner to fill tank with mix and run it double a couple times. I'll remove injection after that. I thought that #3 oil injector might be a problem. ??? See you next time

johnnybahama

Cadet

I'm back! The old bird finally ate a ring on #3. At least got another year out of it. Hone job and re ring #3 or what are my options? #3 75psi