1999 Yamaha 200hp OX66 motor surging

My 200hp OX 66 boat motor is surging erratically. I know there are several post about this same problem, but didn't see any solutions. It was only doing it at higher RPM's and then it kept getting worse and doing it at lower and lower RPM's until it shut off. I immediately restarted it and then it gave me high RPM's again for a few minutes and then got worse again. If it provides any more info, it tended to do it more when I hit a wave and the momentum of the boat was slowed. Obviously a fuel problem, but not sure where to check. Fuel water seperator looked good as well as the clear filter on the motor. Where is this rvt filter other threads are talking about? ????

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1999 Yamaha 200hp OX66 motor surging

Monitoring the fuel pressure/vacuum should give you a good idea of where the problem is.
Look in the frequently asked questions part of the forum at the testing fuel system.

Need to get a service manual for your motor it will show where your VST is located

Re: 1999 Yamaha 200hp OX66 motor surging

I took it to a mechanic and he cleaned the VST tank and replaced the filter while he was in there. $200 in labor and $65 for filter. Boat is running great now.