1996 yamaha 130 saltwater, is water pump good???

shadypup99

Cadet
Ok, I recently bought a 84 champion bass boat, only 500 bucks. So it has some minor things wrong, that are easy to fix. But the main thing is the outboard is supposedly bad. It also was missing the fuel tank, oil tank, and the controls. I have bought a 703 yamaha control, and figured out how to hook it up. The motor started up pretty easy with a squirt bottle full of mixed gas. So I got new fuel line and managed to hook it to a 5 gallon can and it runs pretty good. It is stuck in limp mode. I figured out that one of the temp sensor is bad but havn't replaced it yet. I also noticed that there was no water coming out of the tell tail. I figured out that the hose was clogged and fixed that, and then found that the "popit" valve was stuck, fixed that. So now I have water coming out like its supposed to, even with the motor off. But I took one of the thermostats out, and no water is getting up there. So here is the question, is there any way to tell if the water pump is working, from what I have said or anything else I can check? I dont want to go into replacing the pump if I need to buy a whole rebuild kit and clean out a bunch of water passage ways.

Kenny

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 yamaha 130 saltwater, is water pump good???

It's probably a good idea to change the water pump anyway. Did you pull off both T-stats? You could have impeller pieces caught in the water passages. I would pull the heads and water jackets and acid wash them anyway

shadypup99

Cadet

I only took the one side off, I had the other sides whole head off, kind of suprised it ran since I havnt replaced the head gasket yet. Wanted to see what all I needed before I paid for shipping on only one thing. Is a acid wash something I can do myself, never done one before? Are the water passages easy to find and clean on the heads?

shadypup99

Cadet

well the new pump is on, the motor no longer has water coming out unless its running, and the heads are a more consistent temp. It was a royal pain in the butt getting that water pump put together. thanks for the help