2003 Yamaha 250 HPDI - would you buy a boat with one?

nerd

Recruit
Hi all-

Sorry that my first post is soliciting help, but I don't own a boat (yet)

I put a deposit down on a boat that I liked a great deal. I thought it was a fair value (not great, but not bad), an older hull with a 2003 Yamaha 250 HPDI engine.

When I called to arrange a survey, I was surprised to get a recommendation to walk away from it without looking back. According to both the surveyor and a mechanic friend I know, the motors were unreliable due to design defects related to dirty fuel and the nature of a 2-stroke engine with direct injection. Surveyor recommended a full mechanical inspection if I wanted to proceed.

I have two problems now - one, I've called several marinas in the area (it's about 100 miles from me) and can't seem to get a Yamaha certified mechanic on the phone to ask if they'll do the survey and what it'll cost. Two, trying to determine whether I should take the risk on this engine even if it does clear the check.

I've also been told that with the serial number, I can get Yamaha to give me the history of the updates and recalls provided on the engine. Anyone know what number I might be able to call? I've called just about every local Yamaha dealer I found and have left voicemails across the board, with no response yet. Is there a factory number I can dial?

nerd

Recruit
Re: 2003 Yamaha 250 HPDI - would you buy a boat with one?

Forgot to add, this is for model # Z250TXRC.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2003 Yamaha 250 HPDI - would you buy a boat with one?

You should be able to go to your local dealer with your info and they can look it up for you.
Not sure if Yamaha will give it out to someone that calls or not