Intermittent flooding 1994 25 hp Yamaha

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1994 Yamaha 25 hp #C25ELRS that has run fine until today. It started right up at first, then died out and would not "hit a lick". Finally took the plugs out and they were wet with gas. I let them dry, replaced them and it ran fine. This happened two more times, although I only pulled the plugs once more.

After that it, it started fine. Just touch the starter and that was all it took. The motor ran all through idle to wide open fine when it was running.

Could it have been trash in the fuel? I was lucky today, way up the river, but had friends in another boat that could give me a tow. I might not be so lucky next time.

Thanks,

John

vrodrig

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Intermittent flooding 1994 25 hp Yamaha

May be you can get a fuel sample just to be on the safe side it could happen again. If you have rust or debris in tank it might be getting past filters and ending up between the needle and seat of the carbs. This would definetly warrent a carb clean out. You will be amazed how much better it may run, not that its running bad. Anyway just a thought.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

May be you can get a fuel sample just to be on the safe side it could happen again. If you have rust or debris in tank it might be getting past filters and ending up between the needle and seat of the carbs. This would definetly warrent a carb clean out. You will be amazed how much better it may run, not that its running bad. Anyway just a thought.

Yeah, I think I'll take it in and have the carb cleaned. I ran some Sea Foam through it the last tank and I guess that could have loosened up some trash.

A friend who's been boating for years and is pretty good mechanic anyway said I needed platinum plugs. He said that regular plugs are not hot enough to keep excess fuel burned off, so I'll try that also.

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Is the tank a portable one or built in?

Would not hurt to drain and clean tank and lines along with carbs, check fuel pump and flush things out good before putting the cleaned carbs back on. Hate to just have more trash hit the cleaned carbs and then have to re-due. A transom mounted fuel filter /water separator may be a good idea, but it will not catch the stuff that is already in the motors lines and other devices with fuel in them
I would stick with the plugs Yamaha calls for. wrong heat range can cause problems

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the tank a portable one or built in?

Would not hurt to drain and clean tank and lines along with carbs, check fuel pump and flush things out good before putting the cleaned carbs back on. Hate to just have more trash hit the cleaned carbs and then have to re-due. A transom mounted fuel filter /water separator may be a good idea, but it will not catch the stuff that is already in the motors lines and other devices with fuel in them
I would stick with the plugs Yamaha calls for. wrong heat range can cause problems

It's a portable tank. I poured and shook out all the gas I could this spring, put in fresh non-ethanol gas with oil. I couldn't get all the gas out when I emptied it. Is there some way to completely empty and clean the tank. It's an Attwood 6 gallon.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to flush all the lines and change the filter. Would changing to platinum plugs necessarily change the heat range?

vrodrig

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To clean out rust chunks or water that you could not get shaken out of the portable tank, use a wooden dowel (stick) with a paper towel wrapped around one end, use masking tape to hold the bottom part of the wrapped paper to the stick like a Qtip. The paper will absorb any water and pick up rust or dirt particals. I have done this an other types of tank other than portable tanks it works well.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

To clean out rust chunks or water that you could not get shaken out of the portable tank, use a wooden dowel (stick) with a paper towel wrapped around one end, use masking tape to hold the bottom part of the wrapped paper to the stick like a Qtip. The paper will absorb any water and pick up rust or dirt particals. I have done this an other types of tank other than portable tanks it works well.

I'll try that, although I can't see any trash in it. I figured it was pretty tiny stuff that the Seafoam broke loose and stuck the float or needle.

A friend said you could flood an engine by over pumping the bulb. I guess it could force gas through the carburetor and flood it.

Thanks,

John

Thanks, John

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If your float, needle, and seat are working properly then they will shut off the fuel to carb bowl once the owl is full and not flood motor when pumping primer bulb.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your float, needle, and seat are working properly then they will shut off the fuel to carb bowl once the owl is full and not flood motor when pumping primer bulb.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, also. I'm not sure what happened, I just know it was flooded because the plugs were wet with gas. Maybe I got in a hurry trying to get away from the ramp so others could launch. I'm going to clean everything out, put on a new filter and try again.

Thanks, guys