Suzuki 85 2 Stroke on Pontoon, Need to trouble shot cant get a spark

DiversUSA

Recruit
I recently bought a 24' pontoon that came with a 2 stroke Suzuki 85hp outboard motor when I bought it It fired up with starting fluid (the fuel line was dis-connected) It was full of 2 stroke oil, when I got it to my house a friend came over and we tried to fire it again no luck, we grounded the plugs and got an arc from all 3. I bought 3 new plugs all NGK B7HS's which were in it and gaped them at .30 which was the gap on the plugs when I pulled them., Is this the right Plug and Gap?, and I know I need a new battery because this one wont stay charged for 1 day. but what eles could cause the motor not to fire now?, I've called several boat shops here in Long Beach California, but all they say is "yes we work on them bring it and we'll get to it!", I've owned several boats and know the biggest bait and switch business is the boatting industry mechanics, not all but its extremly hard to find a good honest boat shop or mechanic. If anyone knows a shop or private mechanic in the South Bay area of LA County please forward me the info. I'm not a cheap person and firmly believe in paying for serves rendered, but I hate to see or be raped by mechanic's holding a boat as hostage. Its a real buyers beware in the boat repair industry.
I do need to know the gap and plug size. I'd really appreciate some help:confused: Thanks.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Suzuki 85 2 Stroke on Pontoon, Need to trouble shot cant get a spark

It will help if you post the serial # and model #, so someone can tell the year , carbed or fuel injected.

Buying a motor that will not run is not a good idea if you are not familiar with troubleshooting and repairing yourself.
You can pick up a service manual and do so testing yourself if you are inclined, that way you have some idea of what is going on with the motor and not depending on a shop to tell you the good or bad news. Hopefully someone from your area will respond with a recommended shop

Compression , spark , timing and fuel pressure are simple to test , but the rest could be harder.

DiversUSA

Recruit

Thanks Catain, I was able to get it started and running, whom I got it from was extremly bad at wiring, and maintainance, let alone putting screws back in it. The fuel was cloged. thats cleaned out, even the carbs were filled with old smelly fuel. The shut off switch for the hydro was grounding that was relaced that gap I found from the web ranges from .30 to .40 so we laced it @.30 and it fired.
But your very right about buying somthing I'm not familar with.
Theres some honest mechanic's susequently 90% of the shos and portable mechanics have really bad reviews. I mean real bad, or they review themselfs and its obvious.:facepalm:
Well thank you again, Take care.;)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Good to here it is running. You are lucky.
Sounds like you are capable of doing this stuff yourself, it would be a good idea to pick up a service manual for your motor

Not sure what "The shut off switch for the hydro " is referring to