Starter Relay 90HP Yamaha

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 Yamaha 90hp that I have been having an electrical problem with, first when I turned the key nothing would happen but the TnT would work, but now nothing will work it just clicks when the TnT switch is used. I took a volt meter to the starter relay (part #16 in link below) and was not getting power on the out side of the relay so I figure that is causing the issue. Stupid me forgot to write down what wires go where when I took the part out. So my question is can anybody with a similar motor take a pic or tell me what wires go where. I know where the POS line from the battery goes and where the POS line to the starter goes my problem is I have 2 other wires a smaller one coming from the front of the engine and a 2nd one coming from the relay assembly(Part #40). I think the small wire goes on the same terminal as the POS coming from the battery and the wire coming from the relay assembly goes on the same side as the POS wire leading to the starter. But I'm not 100% sure and dont want to cook my new relay if I hook them up backwards.
Thanks in advance.

Edit*
Guess it wont let me post a link from another web site, the diagram I am talking about is from ********** and its a 90TLRY model
(sorry if I'm breaking a forum rule by mentioning another website I just cant find a diagram on Iboats)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Starter Relay 90HP Yamaha

90TLRY is a 2000 not 2001

Post wire colors you are looking to find a home for.

My guess is a red one that goes to the T&T relay feeding 12+ , that one should go to battery positive
Not sure what the other one is , you need to trace it out to see where if goes.
A picture is worth a lot when putting things back together

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your right it is a 2000 model the boat is a 01 I always get the years mixed up. The boat is on my lift in galveston right now and I did not get a pic before I came home, have to wait a week or so. But all the wires are Red. So the wire coming from the relay assembly is the tnt wire? I figured the TnT would go to the left side of the relay where the wire leading to the starter is because when you hit the switch it will open up the current and send power to the tnt. I was thinking the small wire coming from the front on the engine could be something to do with the ignition.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Red wires are usually 12V +.
T&T works without the start relay energized and starter engaged, so I do not understand your logic.
I believe what you are calling the relay assembly is the T&T relay.
the small wire coming from the front on the engine as you called it, is it red also or brown?
Still need to trace to to where it is coming from and state what color it is.
There needs to be a small wire to energize the start relay from the key switch and I believe it should be brown
and a ground wire unless it is grounded through the mounting bolts
A Yamaha service manual is worth it's weight in gold if you plan on working on your motor

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just assumed the TNT was associated with it since it stopped working at the same time as the starter I could be wrong I'm no expert. Yes the small red wire is a 12v and it also has a small brown wire that has a quick connect I know where that goes and the ground wire goes on the block. So the wire coming from the TnT needs to go on the side where the Pos wire coming from the battery goes since it does not need the relay enguaged to function that's where I messed up I belive. But that other small red wire needs a home I don't know what it's function is. I have to wait a week or so to get down to look at it again.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

The relay assembly that I'm talking about is a 6 lug little box that's under the relay and it has a red wire coming off of it that goes to the relay I'm just not sure whitch side of they relay is it's home. I assume it's the right side since it does not need the relay to be enguaged to work the TNT like you where saying