Accidentally pulled the shift linkage from lower unit. '86 Yamaha 9.9hp 4 stroke LS

av8roc

Recruit
Model number FT9.9ELJ

I removed the lower unit and gave it a whack without disconnecting the shift linkage. :face palm:

The linkage popped out of the lower unit and now I'm wondering if I made a big boo boo..

I don't see anything in the parts blowup below holding the linkage in place so I was hoping someone here would have an idea of what to do or knows what holds the linkage in place.

Many thanks in advance,

Sean

LOWER_DRIVE_1.jpg

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Accidentally pulled the shift linkage from lower unit. '86 Yamaha 9.9hp 4 stroke

Not positive but I believe the lower unit will have to come apart to get the linkage back where it belongs

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Accidentally pulled the shift linkage from lower unit. '86 Yamaha 9.9hp 4 stroke

Not positive but I believe the lower unit will have to come apart to get the linkage back where it belongs

It does.

av8roc

Recruit

OK guys, thanks. Im guessing thats beyond my pay grade and will take it to a dealer to fix. Really mad at myself on this one!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

OK guys, thanks. Im guessing thats beyond my pay grade and will take it to a dealer to fix. Really mad at myself on this one!

Double check with service manual, but if so, yes this is a chore.

av8roc

Recruit

$350 for my Yamaha dealer to replace the bad seal, re-insert the linkage and replace the water pump. Not too bad I suppose.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

$350 for my Yamaha dealer to replace the bad seal, re-insert the linkage and replace the water pump. Not too bad I suppose.

Nah not bad.