suzuki 9.9 wont idle down w out dieing

bdubbs55

Recruit
My 04 Suzuki 9.9 will not idle down. It pushes my 20ft thunderjet at 4mph but no slower. Unfortunatley that is alot faster than I like to troll. I just bought the boat two weeks ago and everything else is good! As far as I know the guy did not use ethanol treatment but I have added treatment plus 10 gallons of ethanol free gas and that's what I will use from here on out. Hopefully someone has an idea so I can check it out. Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: suzuki 9.9 wont idle down w out dieing

You can make sure the carb is adjusted like the service manual says,that the timing is correct, and the RPMs are all by the specs for idle.
If all that is good then you might see about a different prop

bdubbs55

Recruit

So today after i posted I cleaned the carb without adjusting anything cause i will have to get a manual before I go that far. But after cleaning the carb it was the same thing but I did realize that the ball was not staying full and neither was the fuel filter. So I'm thinking it may be the fuel pump but still not to sure. I'm totally open to ideas and hopefully some has had this happen so I can get this figured ouvt. Thanks

bdubbs55

Recruit

So my uncle who is pretty handy took a look at it and it took the vibration out and it idled right down all from the air/fuel mixture screw on the carburator. Had me worried but a few turns of the screw and it purest like a kitten now!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Way to go Unc! Most of the "problems" that we encounter on these motors are quick easy fixes, just like yours was.