2002 Suzuki excessive smoke from exhaust

Justbiteit

Recruit
I am looking at buying a 2002 Suzuki dt150 but im a little concerned with some excessive whitish smoke from the exhaust when you trottle up. The motor cranks up at a touch of the starter, idles well, compression in all cylinders is between 110-115psi. tthe plugs were dark but nothing out of the ordinary. All cylinders are firing and the motor looks like its in great shape. the gentleman that owns it is the original owner with service records for everything. the last time he took it out this problem started. i have read several post some say it could be air entering the line causing an improper gas and oil ratio, some say it could be water entering the cylinder or exhaust. the price is really attractive, i could afford to spend another 500-600 to fix some issues if needed but dont want to go over that. motor has about 400hrs on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. if it would be water entering the cylinders or exhaust would it be a simple fix(ie gaskets etc.) or would it be more invasive?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 2002 Suzuki excessive smoke from exhaust

I am looking at buying a 2002 Suzuki dt150 but im a little concerned with some excessive whitish smoke from the exhaust when you trottle up. The motor cranks up at a touch of the starter, idles well, compression in all cylinders is between 110-115psi. tthe plugs were dark but nothing out of the ordinary. All cylinders are firing and the motor looks like its in great shape. the gentleman that owns it is the original owner with service records for everything. the last time he took it out this problem started. i have read several post some say it could be air entering the line causing an improper gas and oil ratio, some say it could be water entering the cylinder or exhaust. the price is really attractive, i could afford to spend another 500-600 to fix some issues if needed but dont want to go over that. motor has about 400hrs on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. if it would be water entering the cylinders or exhaust would it be a simple fix(ie gaskets etc.) or would it be more invasive?

So this guy said this is an issue and it hasnt always done this? Did he put seafoam in the gas? How old is the gas cause if it has moisture in it it will smoke excessively. Motors smoke more when you put too much oil in the gas or when you put in a fuel additive. I have a hard time believing there is an issue with this motor if it runs well and has good compression.

Justbiteit

Recruit

So this guy said this is an issue and it hasnt always done this? Did he put seafoam in the gas? How old is the gas cause if it has moisture in it it will smoke excessively. Motors smoke more when you put too much oil in the gas or when you put in a fuel additive. I have a hard time believing there is an issue with this motor if it runs well and has good compression.

that was my thought too, fuel in boat was about 2 months old. he did say he puts startron in the fuel to keep fresh. at an idle there is no abnormal smoke. he is asking 1200 for motor with controls and prop would it be worth it even if i have to put a few $$$ in it?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

that was my thought too, fuel in boat was about 2 months old. he did say he puts startron in the fuel to keep fresh. at an idle there is no abnormal smoke. he is asking 1200 for motor with controls and prop would it be worth it even if i have to put a few $$$ in it?

Depends really. I would check the prop shaft for bends, props condition, lower unit oil condition, you already did compression, but if all checks out then yes that sounds like a decent price. If a 2 stroke aint smokin, THEN you got a problem!

Justbiteit

Recruit

Depends really. I would check the prop shaft for bends, props condition, lower unit oil condition, you already did compression, but if all checks out then yes that sounds like a decent price. If a 2 stroke aint smokin, THEN you got a problem!

THanks again!