1985 suzuki dt 4 wont start

playpipe1

Recruit
I had the motor running the other day . I was towing a dock from the ramp to my house I Made it about 3/4 mile then it coughed and died!!! now it wont start. I took carb off cleaned it . Changed plug. drained gas tank and cleaned it out. .Changed fuel filter. I changed the fuel lines . I noticed the fuel line at the base of the fuel pump was leaking to I put on a clamp. I am wondering if it might be the pump? Anyone have any clue what I can do .. Lobster season is coming quick!!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1985 suzuki dt 4 wont start

check compression and spark to start out with, You could have cooked the motor pulling that dock.and then if all that is good ,you can spray a little fuel/oil mix into the carb to see if it will fire. You may be getting too little or too much fuel to allow it to fire properly.

playpipe1

Recruit

It has good compression. I sprayed a little fuel and it fired a bit but did not start. a thread i read said to spray while you pull to prime the cylinder........ Never heard of this method but I guess i can try it.... Thanks for your help
check compression and spark to start out with, You could have cooked the motor pulling that dock.and then if all that is good ,you can spray a little fuel/oil mix into the carb to see if it will fire. You may be getting too little or too much fuel to allow it to fire properly.

seward

Cadet

99yam40

You suggest spraying fuel into carb....what is the appropriate way to do this?

I (DT2 1985) have similar situation as DT 4 above describes...motor died while motoring, for an hour...compression good, blue spark with plug.....not the newest gas...can not get it to fire at all

I have checked the carb and all appears to be clean and functioning....old gas?

Thank you for any words of wisdom.

Sean

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

seward, PLEASE respect our rules (#12) about posting to old, dead threads. Please also obey the BIG RED BANNER that you ignored to post to this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)