Suzuki DT50 lost spark

hannible

Recruit
Hi all,

I have a suzuki dt50 2cyl/2 stroke outboard which lost spark yesterday, i suspect the fault lies with the coils (coil pack), engine number is 5001-F10310.

anyway, as mentioned, we were out yesterday, motor started fine and performed well, went to several fishing sites and on returning to the ramp the motor died mysteriously, ok restarted and ok, then under load, the motor died again, tried to restart, couple puffs of smoke via exhaust then nothing, got towed back to ramp.

checked fuel and ok - no water - pulled plugs - wet (not firing) - new plugs before this trip.

reading various post in this forum, the general word is that the cdi units are bulletproof with this model - so i have not tested that.

but i have tested the ignition coil - the readings i am getting are 0.05ohms for primary circuit and open circuit for the secondary when testing between sparkplug leads and white/black wire.

can anyone advise if i have tested the coils correctly and supply primary and secondary resistance that i should be getting on a good coil?

i have used a fluke 19 DVOM for the tests.

cheers
hannible