1984? Yamaha V4 115- PURCHASE PENDING. What do the numbers mean/what to watch for?

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1984 Yamaha V4 115- purchase pending-
Thankfully I found out in another thread about what to expect from a compression test, but I would love to know- what else should I be aware of or looking for with this potential outboard purchase. I've been told by the seller that before I buy they will do a compression test for me and start it and I will confirm that the tilt/trim is operational. Anything else I should be considering?

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1984? Yamaha V4 115- PURCHASE PENDING. What do the numbers mean/what to watch fo

That old of a motor I would definitely want to run it at all RPM ranges under load to make sure it ran good and did not over heat.
Corrosion will cause problems internally so make sure about buying a motor close to 30 years old.
check lower unit oil and see if they have some records of maintenance done over the years, not just verbal

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984? Yamaha V4 115- PURCHASE PENDING. What do the numbers mean/what to watch fo

Is it a saltwater motor? Wouldn't pay much(if any) for it if it is....25+ yrs in saltwater = junk 90 percent of time....even the shift shaft back then wasn't stainless till '95.....freshwater would be fine most likely....just stay away from old, old saltwater motors. Even yamahas.

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey guys, thanks. motor is a freshwater use and apparently leg was replaced with a factory Yamaha one 2 years ago, (previous owner hit a rock and, according to the dealer who is selling the motor , insurance opted to have new leg installed as opposed to repairing old one.
The motor looks as new. Dealer did tell me oil injection was disconnected and now to use premix 50:1. Not exactly sure why that is!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Get them to guarantee it for some time period and run it hard during that time to make sure it works as you want it to.
Just because the lower was replaced 2 years ago does not mean it is good today.
check oil before and after running it hard and long in the water under load