1996 yamaha s150trlu shakes in gear at idle

K9mattk

Recruit
So I'm getting the boating itch and want to start thinking of possible solutions to my yamy 150(96 SWS2). First not 100% sure there is a problem just 99.5%. The problem is that this motor really has a shake in gear at low rpms. Its on a whaler outrage 17, and has been like this since I got the boat a couple of years ago. I did a lot last year went through the carbs (twice once I did it once a yamy dealer did it), did comp/leak down test, many sets of plugs and fuel filters, ran on external tank, replaced fuel pumps, shock treated the fuel with ring free, decarbed motor with yamy decarb spray. The problem is worse with a heavy stainless 13.5X18 (OE yamy prop) vs a lighter aluminum prop 14X17(oe yamy also), but can still notice it either way. I was told that the 18p prop was really made for the 150, and it performs the best 50mph at 5200. It also seems a bit like one cyl drops in and out at mid range. Every time I pull plugs they seem a bit wet and pretty much all the same, and some oily sheen in water when running at dock, but not a oil slick (smells like unburned fuel). I picked up a factory SM and want to check a few things, like make sure correct jets in carb (looks like SWS2) have different jets then reg 150. Any thoughts would be helpful. Also when I took it to the dealer they said they had not seen one shake as bad, and the carbs needed overhaul so I let them do it. they said they got it running great, but when I took it out it was the same. I was just $700 lighter.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 1996 yamaha s150trlu shakes in gear at idle

Are you sure the correct jets are in each carb, as some motors have different jets for each carb, as well as different compression ratios for various cylinders. Seems like one or two cylinders with incorrect jets would give a rich or lean mixture in that cylinder and create that shaking. When you cleaned your carbs did you mix up the jets or keep each carb part to itself?...just an idea....Good Luck!:)

K9mattk

Recruit
Re: 1996 yamaha s150trlu shakes in gear at idle

thanks, all jets were the same just cant remember there # was. the sws2 is supposed to have #142, the reg 150 has 150,154,158 in differenent places. pretty sure they were 142s. also I was wondering if a "winky blinky" will hook up to that motor. most of the time the folks with HPDI are chating about the WB. My factory manual says it is for "oil injected or 225hp" so to me my s150trlu should work?? It has a CDI and a crank sensor so the computer must have some logic programed into it. After looking at the manual the specs for motor are 745 Kpa (108) psi compression at 6.2/1, seems very low to me. would burning no eth. 91 oct prem. be a problem? a low octane fuel will burn quicker and earlier. the manual calls for reg 86 oct. cant get that without ethenol. checked for spark at all cyl. with timing light, but not spark gap tester. Maybe week pulser coil?? seems to me plugs should be nice and dry after hard run. Also burned 3gal fuel after 5 min no wake and 5 min WOT seems like a lot, but big 2 strokes do like fuel. thanks again for the input, if anyone knows of a expert with these motors in MN let me know I would just soon pay somone to figure it out, but going to a dealer your more likey going to end up worse off then before you went in.