Suzuki Fuel Gauge wiring question

cjmahm

Cadet
I recently repowered my boat and went from an old Johnson, to a new Suzuki. Only issue I have come across was during the install, the dealer did not hook up the fuel gauge I already have in the boat. There is one wiring that was diconnected from the back of the gauge that is supposed to go to the "Ignition Terminal" on the ignition switch. The owners manual doesnt' go into detail about what color wires on the harness are what. Can anyone tell me what color wire(s) go to the ignition switch?

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki Fuel Gauge wiring question

Usually on the back of the fuel gauge there are the 3 main terminals. Ign. gnd. and send.. There should be a pink wire coming from the fuel tank connect it to "send". Now loop off from your tach and connect a black wire to to gnd. and also a grey wire to ign. The grey wire from a suzuki tach is your key on power. good luck!!!

cjmahm

Cadet

Awesome, the grey was the magic color I was searching for. Thanks for your help.

cjmahm

Cadet

Got it wired and it works, but it doensn't work exactly right. The trim gauge starts at mid-range, meaning with the prop all the way down, the gauge arrow is pointing right at the middle of the gauge. If I start trimming up, it just quickly goes up and pins at the top of the gauge. So basically, only the top half of the gauge is indicating. Anyone have this issue before?

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not exactly sure if this applies to your engine but some sending units can be adjusted. See if you can tweak the setting a little bit.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You repowered from Johnson to Suzy -- the trim sender on the engine may not be compatible with the gauge.

cjmahm

Cadet

Found the trim sending unit (which is in a different spot than on most motors i have seen), but it doesn't look to be adjustable. Anyone with any experience adjusting a trim sending unit on a newer model Suzuki?

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found the trim sending unit (which is in a different spot than on most motors i have seen), but it doesn't look to be adjustable. Anyone with any experience adjusting a trim sending unit on a newer model Suzuki?

You need to install a Suzuki Trim gauge because the old Johnson one has a different setting that cant be adjusted