2003 Yamaha F225 Water Leak

20cent

Recruit
A few weeks ago I noticed my cowling filling up with large amounts of water when underway and above 3500 RPM. By large amounts I mean 2-3 inches. I troubleshot and looked at multiple areas to include the rinse down hose tubing, thermostat housings, drain grommets and the anodes between the spark plugs. Yesterday with the help of an inspection mirror a buddy and I were able to narrow down. If you take a look at the attached picture it appears to be coming from below where the arrow is. In addition, the water is warm to the touch, and I have never gotten any overheat alarms. Right now I am looking at diagrams trying to understand the cooling system a little better and try and ascertain how the water gets from the water pump....around the poppet valve......and into the powerhead. Any thoughts or similar experiences from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8800.jpg
    IMG_8800.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2003 Yamaha F225 Water Leak

From what I understand the waters is coming from under the power head which means you will have to change the power head gasket

20cent

Recruit

Thanks Shane, my research on other forums seems to indicate the same thing which is that the powerhead is going to have to be removed and then I am going to have to replace the base gasket which is between the powerhead and the upper casing, I believe it is #33 in the attached schematic.

Attachments

• CropperCapture[8].jpg
    CropperCapture[8].jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 0

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can't see the photo because of website maintenance issues but that is the gasket I ment and yes you will have to remove the powerhead to change it