Shift Shaft Binding 93 Yamaha 250

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motor goes in and out of gear ok so I don't think that the shaft is corroded. The problem is I have too use alot of force on the shifter to get it to function. I disconnected the cable from the motor and it is very smooth but I can't shift gears buy using the motor linkage with my hand.

It seems like the shift rod is binding up and won't rotate. It this possible or could it be in the lower unit? I don't have time to drop the lower for a week and would like some advice. Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Shift Shaft Binding 93 Yamaha 250

It should shift more easily with the motor running. Maybe drain your lower unit and take a look at your fluid for water/contamination/metal shavings?...:)

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually this is happening with the motor running.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Still need to look at lube to see if it is contaminated
and drop lower unit to see if the linkage is the problem or lower unit itself

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will drop the lower as soon as I get the time. For now I'm just wondering if anyone has had a sticking shift shaft or if people think the problem is in the lower unit.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe check the shifter arm (on front under powerhead) for corrosion and freedom of movement. There is a shifter detent with a spring-loaded ball bearing on that arm...maybe the ball/spring is corroded/stuck?...That area should be clean, free and lubricated. good Luck!

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Robert, I hope that is the problem.

There is a grease fitting there but it wouldn't take any grease. I hit it with some WD and I'll take a closer look this weekend.

tsringcutter

Recruit

I had this problem on my 90 hp. yamaha 2 stroke. Turned out the shift shaft was bent down in the foot right where the splines begin. Where it engages the shifter cam. I pulled it out and straightened in A vice. Problem solved. Don't know how it got bent it was like that when I bought the motor.

robert graham

Admiral

I had this problem on my 90 hp. yamaha 2 stroke. Turned out the shift shaft was bent down in the foot right where the splines begin. Where it engages the shifter cam. I pulled it out and straightened in A vice. Problem solved. Don't know how it got bent it was like that when I bought the motor.
That's pretty darn interesting...makes you wonder how it ever got bent down there? Maybe that's Salty Dog's problem?