1998 yamaha 40 power trim problem

boydog40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 98 model c40tlrx and the power trim is not working at all, hit the trim button and no noise, nothing????
found 2 sets of wiring harness coming from the trim motor into the cowl, one set had a square pug that was unplugged, plugged it up and no change - can someone tell me what this harness is for?
the other harness goes to what appears to be a solenoid, all connections are clean and tight there
does yamaha use a fuse for the power trim?
any ideas to look out for?
thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 yamaha 40 power trim problem

c40tlrx is a 1999
W would be a 1998

There should be 2 wires coming from the trim motor a blue and a green, they will be attached to the power tilt and trim relay on side of the motor. No plug. You can take these loose fro relay and attach to a 12 V source to see if the motor will function, reverse the leads(+&-) and the motor will turn in opposite direction,
There should also be smaller blue and green wires on relay that come from the switch for control of relay

boydog40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks
hooked power to left side of relay and motor turns on, power to right side of relay no sound
have not checked wires from trim button yet, gets dark to quick
what is verdict so far? bad relay?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You will have to do a better job of explaining what you did.
No idea what hooked power to means.
12v + maybe, but did you disconnect the wires like I told you and hook up 12v + and - ?
Was this on the small wire connections or the larger ones that go to the motor?

boydog40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks 99yam! did what you said when i got home earlier, motor turned and engine raised, so i traced all the wires back to the handle and found one wire broken, repaired that and BAM all fixed!!!! thankls again for your help!