yamaha 703 control box - key problem

NR&fish

Recruit
Just came across this site while web-searching my problem. I have a 2003 yamaha 75 hp outboard with a 703 remote control box. Yesterday I put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't turn - it just seems locked in place. I moved the throttle around and back to the neutral position and tried again - nothing. I sprayed some wd40 in the lock, wiggled and jiggled the key, tapped the control box, moved the idle lever up and then back down, tried my spare key in the switch - nothing. Anyone have this problem? Is it a main switch replacement I'm looking at for repair? If so, is it a simple fix or is it a trip to my boat mechanic. Thanks in advance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha 703 control box - key problem

There is no interlock between any of the controls that would prevent turning the key. If the boat has sat uncovered and unused for an extended period of time where the weather could have soaked the lock to the point where corrosion has set in, then replacement of the switch would be necessary. Make sure the key is inserted fully into the lock. I won't turn unless it is. If you have some young pranksters in the neighborhood they have been known to put glue and other stuff in locks so check the lock as well as you can. Apply a little more lock lube and let it sit for a day or so and try again. A little extra force on the key may be in order to break it loose. If you break the key it is of no consequence since the switch would need replacing anyway. If that's the case, replacement is not a major issue but that depends on how mechanically and electrically adept you are. It involves disconnecting the POSITIVE battery cable, removing the control box, splitting it open, extracting the switch and then "one at a time" move the wires from the old switch to the new one. Don't remove them all at once as the next post would be "I forgot which wire went where". Things fit pretty snuggly in those boxes so you need to look carefully how the harness is positioned (take pictures) so you can reassemble the unit and not pinch or chaff wires.

NR&fish

Recruit

Thank you for the information. I didn't think that there were any electrical or mechanical stops that would prevent the key from turning - good to be reassured. I tried it again this morning after more lubricant was applied yesterday - nothing. It really does seem like something must have moved/broken within the switch to cause the problem. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood so I don't think it was mischievous kids. The only thing I can think of is that there might have been some excess moisture in the mechanism and we've had some pretty cold evenings - maybe if ice formed inside the switch it expanded and caused something to break? Thanks again for the advice/information. Looks like I've got a weekend project coming up when the weather gets better.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you tear it apart, especially if you think it may have frozen, use a lighter to heat the key. Then try it. The lock may indeed be frozen. Or try a hair dryer to heat the lock.