need help with suzuki 2002 df 140 steering problem

feet wet

Cadet
i have a 02 suzuki df140 with a steering problem that I have been fighting for a few years. It just does not swing that easy when I disconnect it from the steering. I had teleflex and thought hyd steering would power through it but its still a bit stiff. I think I need to pull the engine and remove the steering swivel bracket (have also seen it referred to as king pin) and lubricate it. I cannot get any grease into the zirk fitting anymore.

has anyone done this? I think I can disconnect linkage and cables to the motor then disconnect the the upper and lower engine mounts and swing the eng off (with a hoist of course) then pull the pin out to lube it...this time with triple guard grease.

thoughts?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: need help with suzuki 2002 df 140 steering problem

Best read your service manual first, may have to pull power head and other things to get it done.
But I have not tried it before, so what do I know

oldfishdude

Recruit

i have a 02 suzuki df140 with a steering problem that I have been fighting for a few years. It just does not swing that easy when I disconnect it from the steering. I had teleflex and thought hyd steering would power through it but its still a bit stiff. I think I need to pull the engine and remove the steering swivel bracket (have also seen it referred to as king pin) and lubricate it. I cannot get any grease into the zirk fitting anymore.

has anyone done this? I think I can disconnect linkage and cables to the motor then disconnect the the upper and lower engine mounts and swing the eng off (with a hoist of course) then pull the pin out to lube it...this time with triple guard grease.

thoughts?[/QUOTE

Maybe look at the grease fittings themselves? Maybe they can be removed/replaced if the check ball is frozen or damaged.

feet wet

Cadet

thanks but I looked at these already even replaced them but cant get it to take any grease

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

have you tried to clean out the hole when you had them out and maybe some heat from a heat gun to melt the old grease?

May be rust bugs have gotten to it and will need to take apart like you said

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You need to disconnect the steering. heat the steering tube and pump grease and move it back and forth. let it cool and you should be in good shape. You'll need 2 people